Tuning Adapter channel map, periodically refresh?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
lopezi

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuning Adapter channel map, periodically refresh?

Post by lopezi » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:39 am

I'm on TWC and have the Cisco Tuning Adapter. In an effort to minimize the number of manual things I need to do to keep things running smoothly I was wondering if there is a way to periodically refresh the channel maps that the tuning adapter uses. What I have noticed is that every so often I need to power cycle the Tuning adapter in order for it to "fetch" a more recent set of channel maps. I'm assuming that the cable company swaps channels around but the channel maps the tuning adapter need to be updated...however, this does not appear to occur automatically for the tuning adapter, almost as if when the cable co. moves things around a push should be sent to the tuning adapter...but that doesn't appear to occur.

So, how do I orchestrate that outside of power cycling the tuning adapter? I'd entertain a powershell scheduled task or something to do it but I'm not sure how to programmaticaly interface with the tuning adapter.

Any ideas?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:47 pm

The TA doesn't really use a map per se - it's all dynamic.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

lopezi

Post by lopezi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:21 pm

erkotz wrote:The TA doesn't really use a map per se - it's all dynamic.
With that stated...could you give insight (I'm really trying to understand what goes on behind the scenes) as to why I need to power cycle the tuning adapter every so often...generally I know to do this when I start getting multiple "this channel is not available" or when I do tune a channel, it's not the one it should be....this has led me to believe that the cable co. has moved the channels around but that the tuning adapter still contains a stale "pointer or record" to where the channel used to be (when it goes to make the request), unless I'm missing something in how it all works. I know when I power cycle the tuning adapter, all is good for awhile (usually 1-2 months, sometimes more often, sometimes less). I appreciate any hints or insight you could share.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:01 pm

Channels are moving constantly. They can actually move while you are already watching them. Most likely the answer is the tuning adapter has gone out to lunch and is not responding at all.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

xnappo

Post by xnappo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:17 pm

This is really annoying. Thinking of getting one of these to cycle the power every so often.

http://www.amazon.com/Woods-50009-Indoo ... b_title_hi

xnappo

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:24 pm

I used to have "tuning adapter issues" a lot too... until I replaced my InfiniTV4-PCIe with an HD HomeRun Prime. Now, problems happen much less frequently. I reboot my TA and tuner about every 6 months now.

lopezi

Post by lopezi » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:34 am

erkotz wrote:Most likely the answer is the tuning adapter has gone out to lunch and is not responding at all.
Yeah, that's what I had assumed, was just hoping there was a way from the PC side of things to give the tuning adapter a nudge...
When it starts acting up I can tell something is amiss because during channel change requests the tuning adapter light will blink for awhile (don't remember the number of blinks), then I get the "channel not available"...when I power cycle it, things come back...what's also odd is I have to basically unplug it from the UPS I have it plugged into...hitting the power button doesn't do it either. I'm always hesitant to call TWC because it takes forever to find a rep. who fully understands the tuning adapters. I wish the tuning adapters were a little more "reliable", it's the weak link in my otherwise solid set up.