XBOX360 can not connect over Moca

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
CappyTan

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBOX360 can not connect over Moca

Post by CappyTan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:21 am

I also posted this on the dslreports forums. Don't want to spam, but not sure exactly where the problem lies.

I have Verizon Fios. I recently got a ECB2500V01 Moca adapter to hardwire an XBOX360 as an WMC extender. Everything appears to work correctly, it connects to the internet, it can see the other PCs on the network, it can stream DLNA, etc.

However, when I try to login to Windows Media Center, it goes black after the connecting screen and after some time I get a message that the XBOX is not connected to the network. Even stranger is that while it is trying to connect and timing out, it essentially kills the entire network. Other devices lose their connectivity for that period. As soon is it stops, all is back to normal.

Checking the logs on the PC running WMC, there is always the following pair of error messages -

Remote Desktop Services has taken too long to load the user configuration from server \\Server for user Mcx2-Server

AND

The Media Center Extender user was abruptly disconnected.

If I pick up the exact same xbox and connect it to the router via one of the ethernet ports, it all works flawlessly. It is only timing out over the Moca connection (I've tried from two different rooms and from two different adapters).

I have an MI424WR-GEN2 Rev. F router. I have tried messing with various router settings suggested around the internet for seemingly related issues, but nothing is working. I hope I am in the right place, but since it works via ethernet and I am clearly connected to the network using moca, it feels like it must be an issue in the router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

werds

Post by werds » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:09 am

CappyTan wrote:I also posted this on the dslreports forums. Don't want to spam, but not sure exactly where the problem lies.

I have Verizon Fios. I recently got a ECB2500V01 Moca adapter to hardwire an XBOX360 as an WMC extender. Everything appears to work correctly, it connects to the internet, it can see the other PCs on the network, it can stream DLNA, etc.

However, when I try to login to Windows Media Center, it goes black after the connecting screen and after some time I get a message that the XBOX is not connected to the network. Even stranger is that while it is trying to connect and timing out, it essentially kills the entire network. Other devices lose their connectivity for that period. As soon is it stops, all is back to normal.

Checking the logs on the PC running WMC, there is always the following pair of error messages -

Remote Desktop Services has taken too long to load the user configuration from server \\Server for user Mcx2-Server

AND

If I pick up the exact same xbox and connect it to the router via one of the ethernet ports, it all works flawlessly. It is only timing out over the Moca connection (I've tried from two different rooms and from two different adapters).

I have an MI424WR-GEN2 Rev. F router. I have tried messing with various router settings suggested around the internet for seemingly related issues, but nothing is working. I hope I am in the right place, but since it works via ethernet and I am clearly connected to the network using moca, it feels like it must be an issue in the router.

Can you provide a details layout of your network topology, what specific hardware is where and how they are connected to each other? It may help in troubleshooting. I too have my xbox 360's connected via moca and they work flawlessly.. that said I do not have FIOS so this may or may not also throw a wrinkle into it.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:26 pm

I had the exact same problem. I was trying to use two Actiontec routers (one Rev F and the other Rev I) to create a MoCA link.....and the result was chaos. I switched the Rev I router with a Netgear MoCA adapter (MCA1001-200NAS) and it has been working flawlessly for months.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

CappyTan

Post by CappyTan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:17 pm

werds wrote:
CappyTan wrote:I also posted this on the dslreports forums. Don't want to spam, but not sure exactly where the problem lies.

AND

Can you provide a details layout of your network topology, what specific hardware is where and how they are connected to each other? It may help in troubleshooting. I too have my xbox 360's connected via moca and they work flawlessly.. that said I do not have FIOS so this may or may not also throw a wrinkle into it.
In preparation to respond as accurately as possible to this, I had a realization that I had one more possible thing I hadn't tried.

The moca adapter came with a splitter that I had used and was splitting the coax to the adapter as well as to the STB that I am trying to replace with this new setup. I removed the splitter and connected the coax directly from the wall to the adapter and magically everything worked!

I had bought my own splitter previously not realizing one was going to come in the box and added that one in the middle and it kept working. I don't understand completely what the splitter that was there was lacking as I definitely had internet connection with it there, but it was interfering with the WMC RDP process.

In case anyone else runs across this problem -

The splitter that came with the adapter that wasn't workign was some generic 2-way splitting labeled as 5-2150Mhz.

The splitter that I replaced it with that is working is an RCA DH24SP 5-3Ghz.

Thanks for the responses. Not sure the lightbulb would have gone off otherwise.