Using tablet as extender

blueiedgod

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:33 pm

dishwater63 wrote:
I have an HD homerun prime, but I'm not sure if it's networked. It plugs into my computer via ethernet, which is of course plugged into my Verizon FIOS router, but does that mean everything on my network can hit the tuner?

Wait a minute? How is it possible?

HomeRun Prime is a network attached tuner. Does your computer have 2 Network controllers?

Either that, or you missed a step somewhere.

How the heck did you get it to work in the first place?

If you want your tuner to be available to other machines (tablets, pc's, notebooks, etc) on the network you need to plug your homerun into the one of the LAN ports on the router.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:03 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:I agree about the crapiness with DLNA, but I have successfully watched HD channels wirelessly on my laptop, and it works pretty well. There are occasional pixelated frames, but it is very watchable. I would suspect that the CPU in some tablets might not be fast enough for HD.
*shrug* the wife's dual-core Kindle Fire HD can't do it for sure and neither can my Nook HD+, but maybe you're right and some tabs can handle it. There's no mpeg2 hardware decoders in these things that I know of (either tabs or phones), which is the main reason why the new Primes will do mpeg4 transcoding.
Well, I was playing it safe by saying that "some tablets" might not be fast enough. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that this would apply to most tablets.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:07 pm

I have three devices working off the HDprime. Ipad4, Nexus7 and razrhd phone. All smooth and nice. Not sure if that helps.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:01 pm

blueiedgod wrote: You can watch LiVETV on a tablet running windows 8 pro with WMC add-on. So, load Win 8 on your tablet and have fun. You better make sure your wi-fi can support live HDTV.
You really don't use a tablet, do you? You can't just load any old OS you feel like on them.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:04 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:I have three devices working off the HDprime. Ipad4, Nexus7 and razrhd phone. All smooth and nice. Not sure if that helps.
Full 1080i HD channels over Wifi with no hiccups?? Must be nice.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:26 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:
IownFIVEechos wrote:I have three devices working off the HDprime. Ipad4, Nexus7 and razrhd phone. All smooth and nice. Not sure if that helps.
Full 1080i HD channels over Wifi with no hiccups?? Must be nice.
Yes, it took some doing. Not one device runs the same software. Had an extra cost to it since I had to buy separate programs on each (minimal amounts). But the Nexus7 Snapdragon version is the best of the bunch. I put on the android program hdhomerun or something like that which is not by silicondust but the program actually does buffering so I think that is why it works seamlessly. I got nervous when I first tried it because it did not work even on SD channels (this was before I got the above mentioned software). Now it does not hiccup at all and it is NICE. Nexus7gen2 is a sweet tablet. Hope that helps. If you need the list of software I got it to work on any of them let me know and I will make note of it next time I use them.