Resolve conflicts not showing all tuners

choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

Resolve conflicts not showing all tuners

Post by choliscott » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:37 am

Hi Everyone,

I currently have 11 tuners configured on WMC. I had to do a reboot, which usually takes about 3 hours before it wants to start automatically recording, however today I decided to hit the record button about 30 minutes after it came back up. When I press record, it just sat there (no red dot shows after a while). When I look at the record on an extender, it says there is a conflict.

When I try to resolve, it shows it conflicts with 6 other shows? Since I have 11 tuners configured, why isn't it taking account of other 5 ?

Log files mention nothing about the conflict.

Thanks

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Does WMC show that it has 11 tuners? WMC native limit is 4 "same kind" tuners. You have to run Tuner salad to increase the limit to 12, or use Ceton tuners/drivers to up the limit to 32.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:38 pm

It does show 11 tuners are configured for it. At least when I look at the source for random channels. Unless I need to check in another place?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:18 am

Sounds like a possible corruption in your media center database. I've seen other threads like this, and deleting/rebuilding the database solved the problem (at a cost of losing access to your old copy-protected recordings, and having to setup your guide and scheduled recordings again).

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:29 am

If it has to do with a corrupt database, then it would have to be happening pretty fast, as I'll even have the problems right after doing a fresh (including clearing all partitions of the SSD). I do have it set to record "New & Repeats" & do record a lot of shows that channel guide shows "50 episodes" of a particular show, but would think I would have a slow down with less tuners, not with more tuners.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:10 am

choliscott wrote:If it has to do with a corrupt database, then it would have to be happening pretty fast, as I'll even have the problems right after doing a fresh (including clearing all partitions of the SSD).
Well, that depends... are you doing a fresh install of Windows, but then you are using one of those tools to restore your recording schedule? If so, then you could be bringing the corruption with you each time you restore it. That actually happened to another person in another thread several months ago.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:07 pm

choliscott wrote:When I try to resolve, it shows it conflicts with 6 other shows? Since I have 11 tuners configured, why isn't it taking account of other 5 ?
As everyone knows by now, I still use Vista. I have found that Vista exhibits a similar problem with diagnosing a recording conflict, and it is possible that Win7 has inherited this problem.

On Vista, by using "MCE Tuner Extender" it is possible to increase the limit of 2 tuners (I have 8 DVB-T tuners), and that works fine when using "Advanced Record" to schedule the recording. But if I am recording two programmes simultaneously, and I then press the REC button on the remote control to start recording live TV, Vista diagnoses a recording conflict. I think this is because that part of the Vista MC code still uses the limit of 2 tuners. The same thing happens if I try to use ordinary "Record" instead of "Advanced Record" to schedule a future programme when there are already two programmes scheduled for that time.

So perhaps the problem with Win7 is similar, and Win7 still uses a limit of 4 tuners of the same type, and that limit is not affected by "TunerSalad".

I do not have any explanations as to why your system seems to have a very slow response.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:39 pm

Not using any type of backup/restore software. When iv have problems, I'll even do a fresh Win7 install.

Tried doing another Win7 install and configure WMC for use with 11 tuners. When It appeared froze for scheduling of a series, I would look at the scheduled recording on an extender and noticed that it would say it was in conflict with only part of the tuners that I have configured and nothing else would be recording at that time.

Not sure if it will show a conflict for all instances, even if there is only one true conflict and one it costs that, then it unfreezes.

So either it only sees a certain number of tuners when a show is being scheduled or it has an issue with the shows being scheduled (number of shows and number of times the show plays)

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:42 pm

I forgot to mention even when I try to record a live show with only 6 tuners in use, it will freeze for 5 minutes. Again looking at the conflict, it will only show a few shows it's in conflict with.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:19 am

One more thing.. Even when I try to record only 1 show, it will show conflicts for other times that same show plays (even thought I didn't tell it to record at the later times)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:01 pm

A while back, someone else had a similar problem with slow response to scheduling a new recording. I don't remember if he ever found a resolution.

tipstir

Post by tipstir » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:39 pm

I've seen this too where all tuners weren't found. I thought it was the device and got more of them. It wasn't the device it was Windows 7 WMC. Wipe out the HDD first. Format it then install Windows 7 in my case Ultimate 64-bit SP1. Install all patches and updates. Make sure the tuners have the latest drivers.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:18 pm

I've tried this many times, even with a different SSD & still have the same problem. I know part of the issue has to do with how many series I have setup, so I would understand a delay on setting up of some recordings, but can't understand why I would get 1 result with 8 tuners & another results with 10, 11 or 12 tuner config.

I've also sent an email to Ceton Support to see if they happen to have any ideas or if they know what exactly WMC does when you try to schedule a series or when you try a 1 time recording (live tv or future recording).

One more thing I was going to try was I ordered the Ceton 6 tuner PCI card, which I was going to experiment with a HD HR prime to see if I have issues with 9 tuners or not.
tipstir wrote:I've seen this too where all tuners weren't found. I thought it was the device and got more of them. It wasn't the device it was Windows 7 WMC. Wipe out the HDD first. Format it then install Windows 7 in my case Ultimate 64-bit SP1. Install all patches and updates. Make sure the tuners have the latest drivers.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:11 pm

I have 10 tuners and don't experience a delay when scheduling a recording. I've never seen a tuner conflict message, and I have seen up to 8 recordings going at the same time.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:22 am

I wish I didn't have any issues with the recording. Last night I attempted another thing. I tried bumping up the ram to 16 GB & attempted to add 3 additional tuners. While I was at it, I decided to create a custom Event viewer view for the "last hour" of events.

What I've been noticing is a bunch of "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" Event 2005 entries

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Windows Firewall With Advanced Security/Firewall
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Windows Firewall With Advanced Security
Date: 12/3/2013 12:09:24 AM
Event ID: 2005
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: (2199023255552)
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: TV-PC
Description:
A rule has been modified in the Windows Firewall exception list.

Modified Rule:
Rule ID: {2BFDF6C5-EA19-4714-B088-18B957DEF862}
Rule Name: TV Tuner Device (WMDRM-Out)
Origin: Local
Active: Yes
Direction: Outbound
Profiles: Private,Domain, Public
Action: Allow
Application Path:
Service Name:
Protocol: UDP
Security Options: None
Edge Traversal: None
Modifying User: SYSTEM
Modifying Application: C:\Windows\ehome\ehprivjob.exe

I have also posted the last hour's worth of events on Google Docs. The only thing that sounded close to WMC type of event would have been the Windows Firewall entries.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... ring#gid=0

barnabas1969 wrote:I have 10 tuners and don't experience a delay when scheduling a recording. I've never seen a tuner conflict message, and I have seen up to 8 recordings going at the same time.