Linksys DMA2100 stuck in Screensaver

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
rldev

HTPC Specs: Show details

Linksys DMA2100 stuck in Screensaver

Post by rldev » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:11 pm

I have tried googling thi subject but I could not find anything. Does anyone with a DMA2100 ever experience this problem. I can't get this thing out of screensaver mode unless I unplug it.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:15 pm

My two DMA's (2100 and 2200) sometimes go fritzy with random lock-ups / screen saver freezes etc. I have to power cycle them a couple of times / or leave power unplugged for five mins. The wife adores them :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

rldev

Post by rldev » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:25 pm

My screensaver is not frozen. It works, but I can't wake the unit up.

rbmorse

Post by rbmorse » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:15 pm

If you're not using the Wi-fi interface of the DMA-2100, I was able to make a whole host of similar problems go away by removing the DMA-2100's wi-fi card.

It was easy to do, but you'll have to remove the cover. The transceiver is a 3 by 3 inch expansion card that plugs into the motherboard toward the rear of the unit. If you're not sure, just follow the cables from the antennas on the rear of the unit. The card is held in place by two little metal clips at the rear corners. Opening those clips will allow the module to flip up by about 15 degrees and then you can just slide it out of the connector. The antenna cable connector just slides off the tab on the card, but be careful to stow the antenna cable in such a way that the connector won't be able to short any of the circuit traces or components in the unit (I wrapped mine in a bit of tape).

Replacing the Wi-Fi card is just a matter of reattaching the antenna and inserting the card into the slot at a slight angle and press down on the edge until the clips latch.

As always, unplug the unit from the mains before opening the cover, and handle all components carefully.

I needed the wi-fi interface of the DMA-2100 but I could never get it to work reliably. I ended up buying a NetGear 200 series AC powerline/Ethernet adapter kit which works well in place of the Wi-fi. NetGear has a newer 500 series model interface kit http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XAVB5001- ... pd_sim_e_2 that appears to be more desirable than the older 200 series, but I really have no complaint with the units I have.

In any case, the DMA-2100 was pretty much unusable until I pulled the Wi-fi, but it's been acceptably reliable since.

rldev

Post by rldev » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:33 am

Since the unit is so low power I was thinking of just programing the remote to leave it on. The problem with that is it will always be using up one of my six tuners. I will try your method. I have taken plenty of computers apart so it should be a cinch. Hopefully it will work. I have cat 6a running to it. Most of my house is wired with Gigabit Ethernet now.