x280n HDMI Audio, Stereo only

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
nullmindset

HTPC Specs: Show details

x280n HDMI Audio, Stereo only

Post by nullmindset » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:53 am

I'm using an HP x280n connected via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-NR818. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the x280n to output in 5.1 (Dolby Digital), it always defaults to 2.0. If I completely disconnect HDMI and use Component / Optical, I can get Dolby Digital 5.1 to work properly, but the picture isn't nearly as sharp and color reproduction suffers.

Is there a setting that I should be flipping in the config? I've literally went through every single menu that I can find.

Thanks.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:58 pm

I don't know about 5.1 audio via HDMI. I only use component/optical because the X280N has a problem with copy-protected content over HDMI. If you have copy-protected content, and the display is connected via HDMI, and you try to FFWD/RWD, it will give you an error. The problem doesn't happen with component/TOSlink.

BTW, I don't see any difference in picture quality between HDMI/component. It's possible that your AVR is doing something different to component than what it does to HDMI. Try adjusting the picture settings for the component input in your AVR's menus.

pjfan

Post by pjfan » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:09 am

I just hooked up an x280n to a Denon receiver and am having the same issue. It was previously directly connected to a TV so I'm not sure 5.1 ever worked over HDMI.

nullmindset

Post by nullmindset » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:49 am

I've just about given up on the x280n... from the random sleep issues and reboots to the HDMI issue, I'm better off sticking with my old Linksys extenders. I think I finally have the HDMI HDCP handshake issue between the Linksys DMA2100/2200 and my Onkyo receiver resolved with the latest firmware update for my receiver. I also had to use component on this one... and honestly, I never thought to adjust the component picture within the AVR menus. Hopefully I won't need to, but great idea!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:33 pm

I don't know if your AVR has video adjustments, but some AVR's do. The one I have in the living room does, but I have my HTPC connected in the living room... no extender there.

The X280N definitely has its quirks, but I like the X280N better than the Linksys DMA-2100/2200 because the HP responds faster and plays more video files than the Linksys. The X280N "automagically" turns itself ON all the time. I solved that by using a smart power strip so that when the TV turns off, the power is cut to the X280N. The X280N also has an HDCP bug that manifests when using HDMI and trying to FFWD/RWD while watching a copy-protected show. Component solved that problem.

The XBox360 S or E are definitely the best extenders though. I avoided them because of the cost, power consumption, and noise. I finally broke down and bought one. The price has come down quite a bit. I paid $179 for mine (new). The power consumption isn't really an issue if you turn it off when not watching TV. And I can't hear it unless I'm closer than a 3 feet from it, so the noise isn't an issue either. I've read that the power supply for the XBox gets noisier over time. I deal with that when it happens... either by replacing the fan, or finding a fanless substitute.