2-channel PCM audio from toslink port on echo?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
tad

HTPC Specs: Show details

2-channel PCM audio from toslink port on echo?

Post by tad » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:20 pm

We discussed audio output from the echo in a thread I started about analog audio outputs, here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =69&t=3095

I am trying to figure out exactly what audio format the echo uses for its toslink output. When I connect the toslink cable to my denon avr, the denon says it is a 2-channel, 48khz PCM signal. However, I have several digital to analog audio adapters and none of them will convert the audio from the echo to analog audio. The only way I can convert the signal to analog audio is by using a dolby digital decoder. If the Echo is outputting a proper, uncompressed PCM signal then any cheap digital to analog adapter should be able to convert it.

My audio distribution system (Zektor ProAudio 16) only accepts 2-channel PCM signals. It then converts the signal to analog to feed multi-zone amplifiers. Just like the other digital to analog adapters I have tried, the Zektor system cannot convert the audio from the Echo.

The above tests lead me to believe that there is something wonky with the toslink audio output from the Echo. Does anyone have any equipment they could use to further determine what type of audio signal is being output? Or, any suggestions on how I can further troubleshoot?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:20 pm

In the Echo settings, the Echo can be configured to output either 2-channel PCM or encoded AC3. Check the settings - my guess is yours is set to output AC3.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

tad

Post by tad » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:39 pm

erkotz wrote:In the Echo settings, the Echo can be configured to output either 2-channel PCM or encoded AC3. Check the settings - my guess is yours is set to output AC3.
Thanks for the response, but mine is not set to AC3 (AC3 bitstreaming is unchecked).

Has anyone successfully used a digital to analog converter with the Echo?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Is it set to use toslink audio (not HDMI). I know I've used PCM output from my Echos before, but I don't think I have any devices that outright refuse AC3 (though it did not light AC3 on my receiver)
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

tad

Post by tad » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:00 pm

erkotz wrote:Is it set to use toslink audio (not HDMI). I know I've used PCM output from my Echos before, but I don't think I have any devices that outright refuse AC3 (though it did not light AC3 on my receiver)
Yes, it is set to use toslink audio. I have connected the toslink (optical) to the following devices:
1.) Denon AVR Receiver - Works. According to the receiver info, the audio is 48khz 2-channel PCM.
2.) Standalone dolby 5.1 decoder - Works. (ViewHD decoder - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0080UV04M/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1)
3.) Standalong digital audio to analog audio conerter - Does not work. (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2)
4.) Zektor ProAudio 16 audio matrix - Does not work. (http://www.zektor.com/products_proaudio_dsp_16x16.html)

Note that the only two devices that function when connected to to the toslink jack on the Echo are #1 and #2, both of which support Dolby Digital.

If I set the audio on the Echo to HDMI and use a HDMI audio extractor to convert to HDMI + toslink (PCM), both #3 and #4 above work fine. This leads me to believe the Echo is doing something funny with the "PCM" audio signal it sends out over the toslink port.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:27 pm

In the HTML Echo settings page, does Bitstreaming on or off do anything for what you are trying to accomplish?

tad

Post by tad » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:31 pm

Crash2009 wrote:In the HTML Echo settings page, does Bitstreaming on or off do anything for what you are trying to accomplish?
Nope, that's the same setting that the settings plugin changes. "Dolby Digital Audio Bitstreaming" is set to off (as it should be).

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Do you still have that HDMI Matrix switcher?

tad

Post by tad » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:38 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Do you still have that HDMI Matrix switcher?
Yes... Gefen 8x8. Why?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:53 pm

tad wrote:Yes... Gefen 8x8. Why?
I just bought a 4X4 matrix. I just went through all this toslink-spdif-mono crap. I ended up using the 4th matrix output for my sound. Not sure if that's possible in yours though. Sounds like (pun intended) you have a bunch of sound devices.

Why do you have to extract the audio from the HDMI?

tad

Post by tad » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:55 pm

The short answer is that I have a separate audio matrix that I feed all of my audio through. That connects to several multi-channel amplifiers that drive my in-ceiling speakers. I don't want to use the built in TV speakers, hence the need to get an audio signal that is separate from the HDMI.

tad

Post by tad » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:51 pm

I did some more testing last night (on both of my echos, to eliminate the possibility that one is defective) and no combination of settings and reboots resulted in a PCM stream that would work on any of my straight digital to analog converters - the stream only worked when I used converters that were capable of dolby digital decoding.

I also came across an old thread from Jan 2013 where we discussed this issue. See http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =69&t=4285

As of Jan 2013, my echos wereoutputting a PCM stream that was compatible with my digital to analog converters, but ONLY when music was playing. Tv audio did not work. And yes, bit streaming was disabled.

As of today (November 2013), neither tv audio nor music audio works. This leads me to believe that something in the January-March 2013 ceton echo firmware updates further "broke" something in the echo relating to toslink PCM output. Note that both my echos are running the 2014.320 firmware.

It would be nice if there was a way I could roll back to the old firmware to double-confirm all of this.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:01 pm

tad wrote:I did some more testing last night (on both of my echos, to eliminate the possibility that one is defective) and no combination of settings and reboots resulted in a PCM stream that would work on any of my straight digital to analog converters - the stream only worked when I used converters that were capable of dolby digital decoding.

I also came across an old thread from Jan 2013 where we discussed this issue. See http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =69&t=4285

As of Jan 2013, my echos wereoutputting a PCM stream that was compatible with my digital to analog converters, but ONLY when music was playing. Tv audio did not work. And yes, bit streaming was disabled.

As of today (November 2013), neither tv audio nor music audio works. This leads me to believe that something in the January-March 2013 ceton echo firmware updates further "broke" something in the echo relating to toslink PCM output. Note that both my echos are running the 2014.320 firmware.

It would be nice if there was a way I could roll back to the old firmware to double-confirm all of this.

One way to roll it back, remove the Ethernet cable and let it hang. That usually will do it. Also we know the echo is an anal log device right? :)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:11 am

tad wrote:This leads me to believe that something in the January-March 2013 ceton echo firmware updates further "broke" something in the echo relating to toslink PCM output.
I think your beliefs are correct. Looks like there was a switch in the settings plug that allowed us to turn off (AC-3). I don't see that switch using the more recent firmware....unless that is what the Bitstreaming switch is for.http://cetoncorp.com/support/index.php? ... menu-guide
Attachments
DolbyDigitalOffSwitch001.jpg

tad

Post by tad » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:43 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
tad wrote:This leads me to believe that something in the January-March 2013 ceton echo firmware updates further "broke" something in the echo relating to toslink PCM output.
I think your beliefs are correct. Looks like there was a switch in the settings plug that allowed us to turn off (AC-3). I don't see that switch using the more recent firmware....unless that is what the Bitstreaming switch is for.http://cetoncorp.com/support/index.php? ... menu-guide
That's still there. I forget the exact language, but it says something about AC-3 bitstreaming. It's a checkbox right under the HDMI/Toslink audio options.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:14 pm

What is the version number of your Echo Firmware? Same question for the Settings Plug-in?

Have you tried downgrading or upgrading the Settings Plug-in?

I was running 12_12_04_0935 for a long time, then upgraded to 13_01_16_0480. Is it possible that this is what broke your 2-channel PCM? January 16 is in the time-frame of when yours stopped working. Yea, there was a bunch of "other stuff" going on. Sure would be nice to be able to pick the firmware that we want to use. Maybe, and it's a big maybe, the Settings Plug might enable the feature you need.
Attachments
CetonSoftware001.jpg