Looking to add UPNP DLNA functionality

watts3000

HTPC Specs: Show details

Looking to add UPNP DLNA functionality

Post by watts3000 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:22 am

Guys as of right now I run a pretty large file server where all of our media is contained I use Windows Media center on the client end. I am wanting to be able to stream content to any Android device be it a tablet or phone IOS devices would also be nice. Now when I say content I am talking about photos, mp4, mkv, xvid, divx, iso pretty much anything. So this seems to be pushing me towards a UPNP DLNA configuration. I really do not want a product where I have to leave a user account logged onto the system because it can't run as a service. I've listed products below that I've found I would appreciate it if you all would let me know your thoughts on this subject and what you are using. Hopefully some of these solutions support Server 2012R2, 2008R2 or even Linux.

PS3 Media Server
XBMC
Subsonic
Kooraroo
Windows Media Connect This seems to be streaming using using a Windows 7 or 8.1 box they also have an add on that can give streaming ability to a 2012 server. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=40837

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:14 pm

I played around with Plex running on a server with the Serenity for Android app and it worked well.

MediaBrowser3 is another one to look at, I'm using it on a Server 2012 Essentials box.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

watts3000

Post by watts3000 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:28 pm

I will check out I always thought Mediabrowser was a Mymovies replacement did not know it did UPNP/DLNA.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:12 pm

I would recommend Mediabrowser 3. It now runs on a server. They have apps for Android, Windows Phone, and apple. You can stream music, movies, home video, pictures to any of these mobile items as well as another browser on a different computer. It can all be done outside of network as well. It has log ins, multiple accounts and can be run as a service if you desire.

It doesn't do DLNA atm. You just need the server running on a computer. Set up your network with UNC paths and add any files where media is stored and you can access it anywhere. The apps for the mobile do have a small fee. XBMC now has a plugin for it as well. I don't believe it supports Linux yet, but it is certainly being worked on. I'd suggest checking it out. Sounds like it will offer most of what you need.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:14 pm

christoph86 wrote:I would recommend Mediabrowser 3. It now runs on a server. They have apps for Android, Windows Phone, and apple. You can stream music, movies, home video, pictures to any of these mobile items as well as another browser on a different computer. It can all be done outside of network as well. It has log ins, multiple accounts and can be run as a service if you desire.

It doesn't do DLNA atm. You just need the server running on a computer. Set up your network with UNC paths and add any files where media is stored and you can access it anywhere. The apps for the mobile do have a small fee. XBMC now has a plugin for it as well. I don't believe it supports Linux yet, but it is certainly being worked on. I'd suggest checking it out. Sounds like it will offer most of what you need.
Can anyone verify this works on the echo's?

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:18 pm

It does if you have media browser classic installed on your HTPC. It will show up on the echo and you can play the movies, pictures etc. I have issues with the echo with movie playback though with stuttering, but pretty sure that is an echo issue as it plays fine on the XBOX going through media browser classic.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:22 pm

christoph86 wrote:It does if you have media browser classic installed on your HTPC. It will show up on the echo and you can play the movies, pictures etc. I have issues with the echo with movie playback though with stuttering, but pretty sure that is an echo issue as it plays fine on the XBOX going through media browser classic.
Ok great, and that is version 3 we are talking about? So my best bet would be install it on a server environment; then install the client onto my windows7 media center box etc..?

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:15 pm

Yes, it is MediaBrowser 3. The 2 version is no longer being supported. There are three main components to MediaBrowser 3. The server, Media Browser Classic, and newly alpha release Media Browser Theater. The Theater is a standalone program and is meant to be on your HTPC and run as a standalone, so you probably don't want to deal with that at this time. You want to download and put the MediaBrowser server on a computer that will likely be on most of the time so that you can access your media anywhere. If you are going to be accessing your media via mobile products such as tablets, phones, or browsing you will need some transcoding power on the server computer. If you are accessing it on your other computers throughout the network, it will just play it directly without any transcoding needed. You will also want the Media Browser Classic download on any WMC computer and it will automatically put the plugin on your WMC startup menu.

So right now I have the server on my main computer and have the Media Browser Classic plugin on my HTPC running WMC. I have an echo and Xbox paired with my HTPC and can access my entire library with the Media Browser Classic plugin on them as well. If the server isn't running, you won't be able to access your media. As long as the server is running, you can access anything, anywhere once you have it set up properly. You can store your media anywhere as long as you set it up to share via UNC paths with the server. I currently have the Android app on my phone and a tablet and works great (mind you won't be able to play DRM material on the mobile/other computers). You can also have an external player (TMT/PowerDVD) set up through the configurator to automatically play 3d files on the main HTPC computer as well if desired.

It's not the easiest thing to set up, but once you get it set up it works really well. There is tons of info and guides on their website as well as the downloads here http://www.mediabrowser3.com/

Hope that helps.

watts3000

Post by watts3000 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:55 pm

We use mymovies now in order to get metadata for our collection. Would there be a problem pointing media browser to a share that already is getting metadata from mymovies?

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:11 pm

watts3000 wrote:We use mymovies now in order to get metadata for our collection. Would there be a problem pointing media browser to a share that already is getting metadata from mymovies?
That shouldn't be an issue. You can disable the metadata collection in Mediabrowser server config or customize it. It should recognize the metadata already there, however if obtained from an entirely different source it's possible there may be some duplication.

watts3000

Post by watts3000 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:19 pm

So to be clear can this product handle ISO's also what is the cost of the Android and Iphone app? When I say iso I mean actually displaying an ISO movie on a tablet or phone.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:11 pm

The Android app is $4.79 and its available on the play store so take a look. I'm not sure about the apple app as I don't currently have an apple product. I haven't used ISO's at all, so I can't honestly say how well they work, but all the images and metadata will be displayed within the app.