Extender Linksys DMA 2100 what works ?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Rickt1962

HTPC Specs: Show details

Extender Linksys DMA 2100 what works ?

Post by Rickt1962 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:17 pm

Sorry after reading and re-reading and installing so many plug-ins that don't work :( Can someone point me to the correct direction :oops:

I am in the U.S cutting my cable ! tired of paying just to have a DVR so I dusted off my DMA-2100 ran wired Ethernet Cat5e thru my home hooked up to my PC using 3.30 ghz with Windows pro 7 , ATI HD 2400XT and 2 Hauppauge HVR-1250 tuners

So far after cataloging 4 terabytes of HD and SD movies and using Media Center Master which works great ! the only plugin I found that's working is a weather plugin lol
I installed Milliesoft TunerFree can see it but nothing runs :( really wanted to get hulu working on my Extender and any other Free TV plugin's in the U.S.

Please and help would be greatly appreciated
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:45 pm

Each plugin's website should tell you whether or not it works on extenders. Hulu... well... you can do it, but it's not free and it doesn't work well. The combination of PlayOn and TubeCore will let you use Hulu on an extender... but, to be frank... the quality, reliability, and experience sucks. You're better off to just go buy a Roku or a "smart" BluRay player that has a Hulu app.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Another option is replacing the DMA 2100 with an Xbox 360. You then get all kinds of apps and a WMC Extender that "just works". Walmart is selling them black Friday for $100 as a door buster.. just a thought. Then you can use HULU, Netflix and more.. You do have to pay for the Gold Subscription to use the apps but you also get free games every month with GOLD and you can find the subscriptions discounted throughout the year at different retailers. Plus you get the ability to game at that location as well if that's something you're into. Support for the Linksys extender is dead now and the 360 is still supported. I still think the 360 is the best extender out at the moment. Some complain of noise with them but the newer slim models are pretty quiet. I have 2 360's I use for extenders and they work very well.
newfiend~

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:52 am

The Xbox is a better extender than the Linksys, but for streaming solutions I wouldn't use either. Unless you're already an Xbox Gold subscriber, there is no point in paying for it for streaming. Just buy a Roku or similar that is actually designed for this purpose and doesn't charge an annual fee.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:34 pm

mark1234 wrote:The Xbox is a better extender than the Linksys, but for streaming solutions I wouldn't use either. Unless you're already an Xbox Gold subscriber, there is no point in paying for it for streaming. Just buy a Roku or similar that is actually designed for this purpose and doesn't charge an annual fee.
I agree ^

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:48 pm

barnabas1969 wrote: Hulu... well... you can do it, but it's not free and it doesn't work well.
HULU desktop is free, and works with WMC integration using WMC remote. To HULU it is still a PC.

If streaming content and OTA is all OP wants to do, then WMC is not needed. XBMC or any other open source solution is better. OP can retain main PC as is, and use RaspberriPI "extenders" running in client mode.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:27 pm

blueiedgod wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote: Hulu... well... you can do it, but it's not free and it doesn't work well.
HULU desktop is free, and works with WMC integration using WMC remote. To HULU it is still a PC.

If streaming content and OTA is all OP wants to do, then WMC is not needed. XBMC or any other open source solution is better. OP can retain main PC as is, and use RaspberriPI "extenders" running in client mode.
You misread the OP's question. He was asking about Hulu and other apps on an EXTENDER. Did you read the title of this thread? Hulu Desktop does not work on an extender.