Recorded show menu lag/stuttering i7 4770

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
CBRworm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recorded show menu lag/stuttering i7 4770

Post by CBRworm » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:53 pm

I have been using an HTPC for many years with very few issues. My last bedroom machine was built when the i5-750 first came out. I used it with some video card and then later 'upgraded' to an ATI HD5450. All was good except for occasional video glitches that I attributed to the frame rate bug. My only complaint was that this was an early Asus ROG motherboard that didn't really support power management. At idle the HTPC pulled about 130 watts from the wall, 24/7. It actually draws more power sitting on the blue screen than it does showing content.

Anyway, I have heard that with the haswell chips, all 29/59 issues have been resolved, low power consumption, etc. I built a new machine - an Asus Gryphon Z87 w/ i7 4770 using the on board video. All the newest drivers. With the same hard drives and power supply, the machine now draws 80-90 watts during recorded TV playback and puts out noticeably less heat (this was also an issue). Video plays fine, everything is good except - when scrolling through recorded programs, the movement is jerky. I plugged the old system in to make sure I was not imagining things - the 4 year old i5 w/ 5450 is smoother than the new 4770 iGPU. Am I crazy? I just spent a good amount of money on what I expected to be my WMC machine for the next 5+ years.

Has anyone else seen this? Am I missing some obvious 'smooth it out' setting - aside from disabling animations.

I guess I can put the old video card in the new machine, but that card alone used about 10 watts if I recall correctly.

CBRworm

Post by CBRworm » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:58 am

It appears that one of my 4TB recorded TV drives got corrupted during the move. I saw it run CHKDSK after a bluescreen - I was having some trouble getting the IRST drivers loaded properly. Apparently during the CHKDSK, about 1.4tb of recorded shows got damaged, the files are still there, the size is right but the length (time) is missing. There is a windows process in the background that it continually reading these files over and over again. They do not show up in the recorded TV list but windows is trying to do something with them. If I unplug that drive the menus slide around smoothly.

Now I have to figure out how to recover the data off that drive...

CBRworm

Post by CBRworm » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:09 pm

A follow up, the stuttering was not caused by the corrupt drive. The drives are fixed, the stuttering continues, but now it is intermittent. Otherwise all is good.