HTPC Upgrade Advice with Recorded and Live Streaming

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
escabar

HTPC Specs: Show details

HTPC Upgrade Advice with Recorded and Live Streaming

Post by escabar » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:17 am

Been a casual lurker, but thought I'd post this Q since I could not find answers I was looking for after a few searches.

I am looking to upgrade my Windows 7 Media Center at two diff locations and would like the upgrade components (at both locations) to be able to:

- tune additional QAM channels (already have a Hauppauge 2250 in ea Media Center PC @ ea location)
- would like to be able to stream recorded recorded and live TV to multiple Android (4.0-4.4), IOS (IOS4.x - IOS7) and prefereably Win 7/8/8.1/Windows Mobile as well if possible

At the 2nd location, their are paid / encrypted channels and I will probably need a cable card (looking at InfinityTV 4 or Homerun Prime). Would be great to be able remotely sched recordings for an elderly couple.

I'd like feedback from people who do steam to their tablets / mobile devices to see how reliable the process / apps are. 480p might be livable, but would prefer 720p minimum over wifi for mobile devices. I understand devices like Homerun Prime will yield better results to Media Center through a wired connection.

Anyone with experience streaming recorded (to 2-3 devices) and live streams (preferably to 2-3 devices at a time) to mobile devices?
I've read bad reviews with respective OS apps or issues of only able to stream one recorded or live tv stream at a time. Also looking at Simple TV 2??? (I know there is a paid subscription) to be able to supposedly stream to up to 5 devices coming out in Dec? Any further thoughts?