Some glitching on live/recorded shows - signal problem?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
christoph86

HTPC Specs: Show details

Some glitching on live/recorded shows - signal problem?

Post by christoph86 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:46 pm

I have been running my HTPC with PCI Infinitv 4 card for about a month now. Previously had Uverse and switched to Charter cable so I could use cable card and WMC. They connected a new line outside to my house as there hadn't been cable at the house for at least 10 years. Things have been going smoothly overall with some tweaks here an there. I have a slight issue with glitching on HD channels. Happens consistently with most HD channels. Every 10-20 minutes or so there is a glitch where the live show will stutter/lose picture for a brief second or two then it's fine. This will show up on the recordings as well. System is pretty much brand new, AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4 ghz dual core with onboard video, 8 gb ram, SSD for system and 3 tb external drive and has a wired connection from my router, about a 30 foot run of ethernet cat 5e.

The diagnostic shows I am getting SNR around 35-36 which is good I think, and my signal comes in at -9.5 (range has been -9.3to -9.8)for most channels consistently which I know is at the lower end of the acceptable range. Just wondering if the signal may be the cause of this. The cable enters the house in the basement where there is a three way splitter. One line to my cable modem, one line to my HTPC on the main floor and one line to set top box upstairs. I don't have an HDTV upstairs, but haven't noticed any glitches on the set top box. Internet speed is right on target.

So wondering if a cable amp would solve this or if it may be a hardware issue. It's not a huge problem, but would love to do without the glitches.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:28 pm

Wow, that's surprising that your signal strength is -9.5db with only one three way splitter involved. Yea, definitely try a booster. I recommend this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Signal ... 3a86a85632
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:08 am

Thanks for the link, looks good. After you mentioned that about only one three way splitter, I completely forget about my tuning adapter. There is a splitter on that going to my TA and to my ceton.