Colored guide on Echo

IownFIVEechos

HTPC Specs: Show details

Colored guide on Echo

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:07 pm

Can Echos users please let me know if this works well on your echos? Thanks. Also is there a way to have the colors per content type in the guides carry over to the extenders? I only see it on the WMC machine itself?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Works fine on my Echo :thumbup:

You can set the guide colours, each extender needs doing separately in tasks>settings>tv>guide>guide options (I think - from memory)
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:29 pm

holidayboy wrote:Works fine on my Echo :thumbup:

You can set the guide colours, each extender needs doing separately in tasks>settings>tv>guide>guide options (I think - from memory)
Thanks for the response. I do not think the echo gives us that option? I will check.

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:34 pm

Yes it does give you the guide color option. It's where holidayboy says.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:38 pm

RyC wrote:Yes it does give you the guide color option. It's where holidayboy says.

So the next question is how do I add the 'task' option into my echo :). I do not have it :(

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:00 pm

I think you have to do it on the main htpc...
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:32 pm

You don't set the guide colors on the main PC for the extenders. It's set on the extender, per extender. The "Tasks" bar should be under the TV and Sports bar. If you don't see the Tasks bar on the main WMC home screen, I can't help you. You've got bigger issues unrelated to the Echo then. Maybe you hid the Tasks bar in the Echo options in the Extras library.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:41 pm

RyC wrote:You don't set the guide colors on the main PC for the extenders. It's set on the extender, per extender. The "Tasks" bar should be under the TV and Sports bar. If you don't see the Tasks bar on the main WMC home screen, I can't help you. You've got bigger issues unrelated to the Echo then. Maybe you hid the Tasks bar in the Echo options in the Extras library.

That's what I will check. Other than that I won't touch anything because it is too risky to mess with it when its been working. Thanks to everyone who responded.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:50 pm

That's very interesting. Are you saying that none of your five Echos has a Tasks bar?

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:07 pm

mdavej wrote:That's very interesting. Are you saying that none of your five Echos has a Tasks bar?

It appears so. I only use 3 active currently and I goto the manage area and it says. Okay tell me what options you want in your startup screen. Whats great is the list is empty :( I will live with this, once they die I will goto Tivo like so many others.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:39 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:
mdavej wrote:That's very interesting. Are you saying that none of your five Echos has a Tasks bar?

It appears so. I only use 3 active currently and I goto the manage area and it says. Okay tell me what options you want in your startup screen. Whats great is the list is empty :( I will live with this, once they die I will goto Tivo like so many others.
Hmm... I've never seen anything like that. Since it happens on every Echo, sounds like you've got some major issues on the WMC side. If you're fine with it, I guess you can just leave well enough alone.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:58 pm

There is a reg key that gets set for the guide page colours so you can probably just manually set it that way. I'll look the key up when I get a minute.
Rob.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:00 pm

^ I'm going to start calling you 'Reg key' Rob.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:24 pm

I've been called worse things :)
Rob.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:23 pm

The guide colour reg key is below, hopefully if you create it while the extender is connected (a fresh boot with it left on main menu is probably best?) and then power cycle the extender, then the guide will be coloured.....

HKEY_USERS\EXTENDER_USER_ACCOUNT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings

Create a new DWORD Value named GridColors and give it a decimal value of 1

Let us know how it goes, I'll test if here if it doesn't work to see if anything else is done when turning it on via the menu.

Edited to correct mistake - you must create a new DWORD Value, not a Binary Value.
Rob.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:17 pm

I checked and this did work for me on a freshly set up extender.
Rob.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:11 pm

holidayboy wrote:I checked and this did work for me on a freshly set up extender.

Thanks a lot for the time you took to look into this. What I discovered. First I misspoke and only one echo is without this menu option. It is the echo on the pulled firmware (3/20). I like this firmware a lot so I am not going to force it to recover etc.. But the weird thing is no user account for this echo is created. So I am unable to modify any values for it. I will probably just live with it. I tried to place the values in the default version but I think that only pushes the values down when a new extender is added. So if I get real annoyed I will take one of my spares and place it there but I doubt it. Not enough value added. I WISH they would give us a new stable firmware, am I just a dreamer?? If so "I'm not the only one". Thanks again.