Upgrade MSDN Windows 8 to 8.1 (Success, here's how)

JazJon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Upgrade MSDN Windows 8 to 8.1 (Success, here's how)

Post by JazJon » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:50 am

This is how I got Windows 8.1 working on my HTPC tonight.

I had Windows 8 working great (MSDN version all year. I decided it was time to dive into Windows 8.1

-I downloaded Windows 8.1 via the MSDN Subscriber Downloads page

-I mounted the .ISO via via SlySoft Virtual Clone Drive

-I ran setup, let it update, let it upgrade all apps etc.

-After the successful upgrade, Media Center is no longer installed.

-I used the Add Windows 8 feature option on the start menu. (Type Add Feature in the Windows 8 search bar)

-I picked I have a key, and used the same Media Center key I used before with Windows 8.

-It rebooted after Media Center was re-added.

-I downloaded the latest Ceton Windows 8 beta driver package. (and re-installed it)

-I launched Windows Media Center, and re-setup the 6 cablecard tuners.

Done!

(all Scheduled recordings were still there, I had to change the Recorder storage location back to D: in tasks, TV, Recorder)

I had the Unable to launch "Ceton Otay" message, so I re-installed the Ceton "My Media Center" app

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:01 pm

I was worried I would have to re-do this. I forgot if I installed this version off MSDN or not. But after doing some manual windows updates the option finally showed up in windows store

I had to uninstall MMC and re-install after updating though. And re-setup tuners. That was a bit scary but all working here.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 am

Motz wrote:I was worried I would have to re-do this. I forgot if I installed this version off MSDN or not. But after doing some manual windows updates the option finally showed up in windows store

I had to uninstall MMC and re-install after updating though. And re-setup tuners. That was a bit scary but all working here.
I wonder if the Windows 8.1 update would have shown up in my Store if I waited and double checked updates a few more times. It wasn't there the one time I looked.

For me MMC was missing after the upgrade as if it was never installed. Luckily it imported scheduled recordings when I re-installed MMC via the Media Center key. (I had a backup of Scheduled recordings just in case)
Like I said the Storage needed to be pointed back at my D: though.

So far things are stable on all 3 computers. (all on Win 8.1)
Thinkpad W520 (Laptop)
Mac Mini i7 (HTPC)
Zotac ID83 (StableBit DrivePool storage Server)