Adjusting FF and RW in WMC when using Xbox 360 as extender

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
leebo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Adjusting FF and RW in WMC when using Xbox 360 as extender

Post by leebo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:23 pm

I have used TweakMC to adjust the RW time in WMC7 from the default of 7 secs (I think) to 15 secs, and it worked fine. However, when using my 360 to display WMC on mt TV, the RW time is still about 7 secs.

It's frustrating when skipping commercials when I skip too far and try to skip back, I rarely am able to skip back to the end of the last commercial with the 7 second skip. 15 seconds works much better. Is there any way to get the Xbox RW time changed?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:10 pm

I think that for the xbox you need to edit the "default" profile in regedit and then set up the xbox again so it uses the edited default settings? I saw a guide on hack7mc I think. My echo has a standard profile in regedit that be changed however.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:09 am

Each extender has it's own "user" profile that it uses, with its own copy of those settings.

But one of the "features" of Vista and later is that user profiles are only loaded into the registry for currently logged in users, and as a side effect, they don't show up in regedit when those users aren't logged in.

So to adjust those settings for the XBOX, you need to go to regedit while it is connected, and find the extra user that shows up in regedit. Once you are done changing those settings, either turn the xbox off or go to the dashboard before hitting anything in the UI that might rewrite the settings you are trying to change.

leebo

Post by leebo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:54 am

So if I'm understanding, I have to find out what reg change TweakMC made, then find out what user the Xbox shows up as in the registry, then change the same setting there?

Thanks. Wish me luck.

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:58 am

Good luck ;)
If of any help, I think the keys you're looking for are:

HKEY_USERS\[id for the extender user]\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\VideoSettings
the keys are SkipAheadInterval (Forward) and InstantReplayInterval (Rewind) where the values are in milliseconds (decimal)

.Nico

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:30 pm

^ yup they're the ones. Thanks glugglug, I didn't know that.. My echo must have been on when I looked in regedit.
Rob.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:34 pm

I have experimented with changing these per-user settings, and they had no effect on the skip-ahead/back intervals for my HP and Linksys extenders. The XBox may be different though, because of the fact that it does things very differently than the other extenders.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:00 pm

I checked and this method works for my 360 as well as my Echo.

Edit: As glugglug said, it's probably best to power cycle the extender as soon as you've set the values in regedit, the new settings will only come into effect once the extender logs on again.
Rob.

leebo

Post by leebo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:34 am

You guys are awesome. It took some time to find the Xbox's reg key (there were several users with obscure numbers for usernames) but once I did I was able to make the change. After power cycling the Xbox, I have 15 seconds rewind!

Thanks again.