How to increase WMC record/playback quality

gordon

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to increase WMC record/playback quality

Post by gordon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:51 am

How do I increase WMC picture quality settings under Windows 8.1?

There is no picture quality setting anymore that I can find. Although everything I read seems to reference increasing this. I have attached a photo.
SS1.png

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:53 am

I think you are talking about the recording quality option, which only becomes available on systems that have an analog tuner installed.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:19 am

what Richard said.

When you recorded analog video, you got to decide how hard your video encoder worked to translate that signal to bits that were stored on your system. You got to choose the level of quality, much like when you choose to save a digital camera image today how you get to decide how large or small the file on disc is, which directly translates to whether you see a blocky image (small file) or a fine grain image (large file). (Yes, Richard, I'm simplifying it here.)

But when you record digital, you're just streaming the bits in as handed to you by the provider. Bits have no quality in and of themselves; they're binary, on/off. The quality was defined at the provider, long before the bits were made and delivered to you.

You get the bits that you get, and they provide the quality of picture that the provider decided you would get.

gordon

Post by gordon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Ah... gotcha. Thanks