Glitching/Freezing when LiveTV switches between 4:3 & 16:9

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
djmc321

HTPC Specs: Show details

Glitching/Freezing when LiveTV switches between 4:3 & 16:9

Post by djmc321 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:43 am

Hi all,

I'm seeing some strange & repeatable behavior when watching live TV (or recordings) that switches between 4:3 & 16:9 ratios (for example when an old 4:3 program cuts to 16:9 commercials).

The video starts skipping backwards, showing the previous second of video for one frame. Audio is unaffected. The same channel/recording plays as expected on Xbox 360 MCE or original Media Center PC. The glitching effect reminds me of the 'zoom' bug that was discussed here a while back.

A current workaround is stopping/starting the TV stream, changing channel, or skipping backwards/forwards using the remote. But this is frustrating to have to do this every commercial break. If I leave the skipping picture running it eventually freezes altogether and I have to use one of the above workarounds to start the channel again (again audio is unaffected and continues to play in the background).

The bug effects both switching from 4:3 to 16:9 and 16:9 to 4:3. Any suggestions?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:24 pm

I reported this issue a while back. Hopefully a fix is in the works.....
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

djmc321

Post by djmc321 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:34 am

holidayboy wrote:I reported this issue a while back. Hopefully a fix is in the works.....
Interesting that you're in the UK also.

Are there any US folks experiencing this or does all 4:3 content come in letter-boxed 16:9 over there?

jeonunh

Post by jeonunh » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:13 pm

djmc321 wrote:
holidayboy wrote:I reported this issue a while back. Hopefully a fix is in the works.....
Interesting that you're in the UK also.

Are there any US folks experiencing this or does all 4:3 content come in letter-boxed 16:9 over there?

It probably depends on the cable company, but all my content seems to be passed as 16:9. 4:3 just comes with bars on the side. I'll try to confirm if I can get my Echo running again. I'm going to try setting it up in my home gym since it's about 10 feet from the closet with my server, so I shouldn't have network issues like I've been having using powerline Ethernet. (Fingers crossed)

That all said, if the bug exists you'll probably just have to live with it. I don't think Ceton has directly confirmed on the forums that firmware updates are being actively developed, so I would just assume that it's only going to be as good (or bad) as it is currently.