No premium movie channels

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
erkotz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by erkotz » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:58 am

totalmoose wrote:
erkotz wrote:If you have an InfiniTV and are unable to get the CableCARD through normal means, please open a support ticket with us and we will reach out to your cable provider to resolve the issue.
Have you guys had any luck fixing the "no data found" in the MC guide?
The InfiniTV has no involvement in guide data and it is handled by Microsoft. That said, we are not aware of any widespread issue with guide data. If you are having trouble with your guide, please make sure your PC's clock is set right (including time zone) and then re-run TV setup in WMC.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

marriedwithchildren7

Post by marriedwithchildren7 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:26 pm

I'm posting this as I had the same symptom although a different cause.

First of all, my setup is a self-built computer (windows 7) connected to a 32" high def TV which I also use as a computer monitor (This is in a second floor bedroom/office). I have an infinitv4 installed in the computer. In addition to viewing TV on the connected TV/monitor, I'm also networked to a ceton echo in the basement connected to a 60" Sony. Lastly, I have an acer windows 7 minitower (compact computer) connected to a 17" gateway monitor.

Everything was working fine until the day I returned my cable box and modem. On that day, only "local" HD channels would come through........no ESPN HD and no HBOHD. I called Comcast. Typical experience: first call resulted in the comcast representative transferring me to their "cablecard" team.........this ended up being TIVO!! Call 2 resulted in no success.Same with call #3. Call #4 I insisted on a supervisor, however, the rep. asked me the problem and then did something and all the channels EXCEPT HBO and Showtime would work. Also, one of the high showtime channels worked. The symptoms were severe (meaning 3% picture) pixilation without sound. Now, this last representative was out to fix my problem and she was excellent. But as we worked through it I tried to think if there was anything I changed. Because everything worked prior to me returning the cable box. Well, I finally remembered I substituted a 3 ft. length of coax from the wall to the infinitv for a 6 foot length I had had in place. When I put the 6 ft back, everything worked. I think the cable was superior to the 3 ft. even though it was longer.

Now, the only issue I have is on the acer PC, where HBO and SHOW have some slight flicker of brightness. No other display (the 60" Sony or the 32" TV) exhibits this problem. I will say I bought a video card for the acer but did not upgrade the power supply. The video card was specifically meant for the small tower PCI card slots. Regular video cards would not fit. No problems with any other channels on the acer.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with this setup......I'm going to explore a little on the flicker for HBO and Showtime.

Thanks to all the various posts on this site that helped me get set up.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:45 pm

marriedwithchildren7 wrote:

Now, the only issue I have is on the acer PC, where HBO and SHOW have some slight flicker of brightness. No other display (the 60" Sony or the 32" TV) exhibits this problem. I will say I bought a video card for the acer but did not upgrade the power supply. The video card was specifically meant for the small tower PCI card slots. Regular video cards would not fit. No problems with any other channels on the acer.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with this setup......I'm going to explore a little on the flicker for HBO and Showtime.
What you describe is classic 29/59 problem that seems to happen most with ATI video cards. With HBO tuned or Showtime, open the debug screen and go to the last page (with a remote it's 411 + Info; with a keyboard it's 411 + CNTL + I ) [if that last key combo is wrong, I trust someone will correct it] if on the last screen you see the frame rate changing between 29.97 and 59.97 you are experiencing that problem. The Nvidia cards seem to work through this, ATI cards do not. Some people have found setting in the video driver for ATI cards (I think there is a contrast check box) that help the issue but there are lots and lots of threads on the 29/59 issue and you can spend a weekend reading through those as a way to solve your problem.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:38 pm

totalmoose wrote:The tech can actually see the signal hit the card and activate it with the validation signal.
No, they can't. The InfiniTV tuner (and all CableCARD tuners for PC's) have no means to transmit data back to the cable company. This makes it impossible for the cable company to "see" anything regarding your tuner or CableCARD. If the CSR tells you that they can "see" it, they don't know what they're talking about.

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:38 pm

What I've discovered over the years of having Ceton tuners and dealing with subscription channels is that the issue is a combination of the following:
1) The cable operators messing things up on the billing and pairing.
2) Defective CableCards.
3) Hardware and software on the end users.

Number 1 thing I make sure to do on all my pcs is to have the Windows Experience Index rated. This is an often overlooked factor in making sure your pc will function properly with digital cable.
Often times, especially if you change out hardware or if you do fresh Windows installs, the experience index is not rated. What then happens is that the Digital Cable does not properly activate within Media Center. After Windows Index is rated, go to the Media Center's "Digital Cable Advisor" under the Extras on the main menu. Make sure to run through all the installs and that your pc is fully compliant. If it's not, there are workarounds, but most pcs should pass.

After doing those index rating steps and cable advisor installs, restart the system and Media Center and try to tune HBO, Showtime etc. You may be surprised to see them now work.

Like I said in the beginning, it could very well be improper billing and pairing on the cable operator's side, or a defective CableCard. Just make sure to go through these other steps first. I resolved this issue on numerous pcs in my home, when I originally thought it was a CableCard billing/pairing problem. If it is indeed a Digital Cable Advisor/Windows Index rating problem, you will never get it resolved by swapping out CableCards and talking to CSR, since the issue is on the end user's system.