Alternative remote recommendation for the Echo?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
3rob3

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by 3rob3 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:20 pm

Dkeyguy1 wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Universa ... box+remote

Programmable TV power and volume.
All MC functions
After seeing how cheap these were I picked up a few for spares/backup. It worked fine on my 360 extender but my main PC Media Center didn't respond to anything from the remote. Is there a trick to get these to work with non-360's? Do they natively work with other extenders (DMA2100 for example)?

I still use the silver Microsoft remotes with TV buttons.....love them but they are hard to find/ridiculously overpriced.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Possibly. The WMC protocol uses 8 possible addresses. PCs are typically address 1 (device byte value 4) and Xbox is address 8 (device byte value 116 dec or 74 hex). You can change the address the PC responds to in the registry, so changing it to 8 should make it respond to the Xbox remote. Echo treats this byte as a don't care, so any flavor of WMC seems to work. Not sure about other extenders. I don't remember what registry key to change, but you should be able to google it.

Alternatively, some WMC remotes can change addresses on the remote itself. Press DVD Menu and a number (1-8) simultaneously until you get 2 blinks. Not sure if the Xbox remote can do this or not.

Let us know how it works out. I'd be interested in trying this too.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:02 am

mdavej wrote:Possibly. The WMC protocol uses 8 possible addresses. PCs are typically address 1 (device byte value 4) and Xbox is address 8 (device byte value 116 dec or 74 hex). You can change the address the PC responds to in the registry, so changing it to 8 should make it respond to the Xbox remote. Echo treats this byte as a don't care, so any flavor of WMC seems to work. Not sure about other extenders. I don't remember what registry key to change, but you should be able to google it.

Alternatively, some WMC remotes can change addresses on the remote itself. Press DVD Menu and a number (1-8) simultaneously until you get 2 blinks. Not sure if the Xbox remote can do this or not.

Let us know how it works out. I'd be interested in trying this too.
Wow, awesome info...thanks! Will post back here when I get a chance to try.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:29 am

mdavej wrote:Possibly. The WMC protocol uses 8 possible addresses. PCs are typically address 1 (device byte value 4) and Xbox is address 8 (device byte value 116 dec or 74 hex). You can change the address the PC responds to in the registry, so changing it to 8 should make it respond to the Xbox remote. Echo treats this byte as a don't care, so any flavor of WMC seems to work.
Seriously? So the Echo can't exist in the same room with another Media Center device?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:32 am

crawfish wrote:Seriously? So the Echo can't exist in the same room with another Media Center device?
Not from my experience. I had 2 together (HTPC and Echo) when I was testing Android on the Echo. I think Barnanbas had a registry solution for it; but i never got around to trying it. Android Echo has since been moved to another location in the house so it's not a problem for me anymore.

Work around would be to use the MMC app to control the devices independently over WiFi.

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:51 am

It's definitely possible. I've got the Echo in the same room as a W7 computer (with IR) and an Xbox. It's not that hard to change the codesets on each device, and each properly only responds to its codeset commands.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:05 am

RyC wrote:It's definitely possible. I've got the Echo in the same room as a W7 computer (with IR) and an Xbox. It's not that hard to change the codesets on each device, and each properly only responds to its codeset commands.
Yeah that's what Barnabas was talking about.

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:08 am

On W7/W8 it's in the registry, and on the Echo, there's a sequence of numbers you punch in while it's off. The document with the Echo procedure is floating somewhere around these forums

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:18 pm

I found the procedures to change addresses for the Echo remote and for a PC:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =69&t=3775

Looks like the default for Echo is to accept any address, but it can be changed to a specific one.

If you happen to use a JP1 or Xsight universal remote like I do, the addresses correspond to the following device numbers (keep OEM2 set to 15):
1 = 4
2 = 20
3 = 36
4 = 52
5 = 68
6 = 84
7 = 100
8 = 116

reggie14

Post by reggie14 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:10 pm

This isn't important in any real way, but I thought it was interesting.

I've been looking at mini computers for a possible Plex or OpenELEC client. When I looked at the Zotac machines, I saw something that looked familiar. Take a look at the pictures for one of their boxes. They appear to use the same remote as the Echo! The only difference seems to be the colors of the buttons in the bottom row.

It's still a terrible remote. I'm sure Zotac was just looking for something cheap to include. They probably weren't thinking that many people would use it. It seems like Ceton should have known better, though. Maybe they thought everyone should just use Harmony remotes. That's what I use in most of my rooms.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:21 pm

mdavej wrote:I have a ton of universal remotes that do all Echo functions, plus control any TV, AVR, whatever and does learning, macros, etc. But I need an original Echo remote for resale purposes. So if anyone is willing to do an even swap, drop me a PM. I have many models, but my RCA RCRP05BR's are probably the best fit. I'll pre-program it to your specifications.
What happened to your original echo remote, Dave?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:54 am

Sammy2 wrote:
mdavej wrote:I have a ton of universal remotes that do all Echo functions, plus control any TV, AVR, whatever and does learning, macros, etc. But I need an original Echo remote for resale purposes. So if anyone is willing to do an even swap, drop me a PM. I have many models, but my RCA RCRP05BR's are probably the best fit. I'll pre-program it to your specifications.
Hmmm. Somehow, I missed Dave's post. I recently bought a new case that came with a remote that is identical to the one supplied with the Echo. I'll never use it. Dave, if you're interested, let me know (PM).

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
I didn't destroy it in a fit of rage as you might expect. A couple of my Echoes were second hand and missing remotes. Just want the original for future resale. I'm content now, but you know how fast tech can change. Anyway, I took Barnabas up on his offer, so problem solved. Thanks, Barnabas.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:15 am

mdavej wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:
I didn't destroy it in a fit of rage as you might expect. A couple of my Echoes were second hand and missing remotes. Just want the original for future resale. I'm content now, but you know how fast tech can change. Anyway, I took Barnabas up on his offer, so problem solved. Thanks, Barnabas.
Good news!