Force Time Synchronization hourly = Accurate Schedule starts

foxwood

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by foxwood » Tue May 07, 2013 3:14 pm

I just did a quick search on dd-wrt, and it looks like it's not necessarily a good solution, because most routers don't have hardware clocks, and dd-wrt is an ntp client by default, but there isn't a single straightforward method for making it a server too.

Back to W32Time. According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939322:
The W32Time service is not a full-featured NTP solution that meets time-sensitive application needs. The W32Time service is primarily designed to do the following:

•Make the Kerberos version 5 authentication protocol work.

•Provide loose sync time for client computers.
The W32Time service cannot reliably maintain sync time to the range of 1 to 2 seconds. Such tolerances are outside the design specification of the W32Time service.”
The KB article goes on to suggest that you might want to use a 3rd party client instead of W32Time. (Something like http://www.timesynctool.com/ for example - don't forget to disable the Windows Time Service, though, if you use a 3rd party tool).

This Technet blog might also be helpful, especially the comments:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archiv ... ments.aspx

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Wed May 08, 2013 12:09 am

foxwood wrote:The KB article goes on to suggest that you might want to use a 3rd party client instead of W32Time. (Something like http://www.timesynctool.com/ for example - don't forget to disable the Windows Time Service, though, if you use a 3rd party tool).

This Technet blog might also be helpful, especially the comments:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archiv ... ments.aspx
I'll give it a try if I run into more trouble thanks!
barnabas1969 wrote:
JazJon wrote:Someone should write an app to make setup a breeze. Years ago the app Tardis used to be great. Looks like it hasn't been updated in many years though. I didn't search very hard but I'm sure some time sync app has to be out there that's x64 Win 8 compatible. (anyone?) I'm happy enough with the manual setup working, but I know I'll be annoyed with it's time to re-install windows at some point.
You can just export your scheduled task to an XML file. Zip it, and attach it to your first post in this thread. Then others can simply unzip it and import it into their task scheduler.
I exported the task I created so it's easy to import for someone else or if I rebuild my PC from scratch (see attached in original post)

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Sat May 11, 2013 6:05 am

Well the server I used above failed yet again. (confirmed manually syncing produced error time out) my time was off a few minutes. I give up on the built in Windows time sync.

I installed http://www.timesynctool.com/

Works great! More fail safe options, and nice logs. I recommend TimeSyncTool. (free open source too)

I disabled the Windows Time Sync in Task Scheduler.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:05 pm

Mine has been set to sync every time it wakes from standby for more than a year. It wakes several times a day for recordings, and then wakes again in the evening when we watch TV. The time on mine is always in sync. I use time.nist.gov as the server.

AnthonyB

Post by AnthonyB » Fri May 24, 2013 4:30 pm

This is one problem I'm glad I got resolved when I started using a Domain Controller.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:57 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Mine has been set to sync every time it wakes from standby for more than a year. It wakes several times a day for recordings, and then wakes again in the evening when we watch TV. The time on mine is always in sync. I use time.nist.gov as the server.
I haven't tried letting my HTPC sleep between recordings in many years. It sounds like it's pretty reliable. I want to give it a shot to save on my power bill. Do I just tell the power profile to sleep after 15 minutes and that's it? Do I need to tweek anything else to insure recordings are rock solid? I have the new Infinitv 6 ETH, so having it external/always on should be good. (no USB weirdness any more) I'm using an i7 Mac Mini with Windows 8

So yeah using the TimeSyncTool has been rock solid week after week. Recordings start/stop with amazing precision.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:25 pm

I use MCE Standby Tool (MST). You can use MST in one of two ways. First, if you don't want to use any of the active features of MST, you can run it once and set all the settings to defaults. It will set all the correct power settings in Windows for you. At this point, you can uninstall it if you do not want to use the active features.

There are many active features of MST. For example, MST will automatically reboot your PC on a variety of frequencies (daily, weekly, monthly, etc). It will never reboot when video is playing, a recording is in progress or coming in the next 5-10 minutes, or when an extender is connected. You can also configure it to automatically close Media Center when the PC goes to sleep, and open Media Center when the PC resumes. There are a variety of settings here. MST can automatically run a program or batch script when the PC 1) goes into standby, 2) resumes from standby, 3) resumes due to user activity, 4) enters "away mode", 5) resumes from "away mode".

There are many other active features of MST.

I set mine to close Media Center when the PC sleeps, but NOT to open Media Center when the PC resumes from standby. The reason I do this is so that any error/info messages that pop up while the PC is running unattended for a recording won't prevent the PC from going back to sleep. I use EventGhost to detect that the PC has resumed due to user activity (keyboard, remote control), and my EG macro turns on my TV, AVR, opens Media Center, etc.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:54 pm

I'm a big fan of MST as well... I have been reliably using Standby on my HTPC for like 5 years now.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:56 am

+1 for using http://www.timesynctool.com/ for better time sync. Thanks OP.