Need Help With Windows 8 My Media Center App

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
ejacobs

HTPC Specs: Show details

Need Help With Windows 8 My Media Center App

Post by ejacobs » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:51 pm

I've been using Ceton tuners and their Android app for a while with great success and love it.

I recently purchased a Windows 8 Pro 32 Bit tablet and then purchased the Media Center App.

Here's the problem: I can't seem to get the app to connect to my HTPC, yet the Android one works perfectly fine.
- I've checked the time on both the tablet and the server - both the same using time.windows.com
- Both are on the same workgroup
- I've rebooted both devices
- I've made sure the Windows firewall is off - both
- I've uninstalled AVG virus software - both
- I've disabled Malwarebytes - server
- I verified I can reach from a Windows 7 machine http://server:5832 and receive "Nothing to see here ... move along... move along"
- I can not reach http://server:5832 from a browser on the tablet
- When choosing "Scan Network" I get the message "No new PCs found on the network..........."
- When I add the server using the "Add" when trying to connect I get "Unable to connect to PC, please check your password and internet connection and try again"

It seems that the tablet just can not see the server for this app, yet I can attach to mapped drives.

I'm lost now - some help would be great

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:14 am

Other members have had this issue and it was caused by invalid date/time/timezone. Check your settings on the HTPC.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

ejacobs

Post by ejacobs » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:38 am

Both the windows 8 tablet and the windows 7 HTPC are using time.windows.com. I'm in the eastern time zone in the usa

I've tried turning off the time server and still can't connect. What are the recommended "time settings" to use????

It shouldn't be this hard to connect an app to a server.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:16 pm

ejacobs wrote: What are the recommended "time settings" to use????
What I meant was, other users that had this issue had the wrong date/time/timezone set on their HTPC. Since you successfully connected from your Android device, I don't think time settings is the problem.

Since you cannot connect to port 5832 using a web browser on your tablet, but you can map a drive, there is something preventing the connection to that port. Have you tried changing the port number for MMC services? Try 80
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:04 pm

Silly question: have you tried connecting using the IP address of the server just for a laugh?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:39 pm

So this is what troubles me:

- I verified I can reach from a Windows 7 machine http://server:5832 and receive "Nothing to see here ... move along... move along"
- I can not reach http://server:5832 from a browser on the tablet

If you can not reach it via the browser on the tablet it means it simply can not connect at all and something is blocking it. You WOULD receive the "Nothing to see here" message regardless of the time being correct. So since it can not be reached on the tablet it could be a number of things, perhaps the avg but you said you uninstalled it.

Did you install the MMC services on both PCs? there could be a port conflict if you did that, it should only be on the Server PC.
I Write, Code, and Tweet