Planning to Upgrade Using TechNet 8.1 READ THIS

jewrican

HTPC Specs: Show details

Planning to Upgrade Using TechNet 8.1 READ THIS

Post by jewrican » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:28 pm

This is ONLY pertaining to the Windows 8.1 RTM release which was released through the TechNet subscriptions.

I repeat THIS IS ONLY FOR THE TECHNET SUBSCRIPTIONS

When you download your media from the Technet subscriber downloads make SURE you do not get the VL media. The one you want is on the 3rd page when you search Windows 8.1. The VL media cant install Media Center. I went through HELL last night and thank goodness I took a system image before i started. I was able to download the 8.0 media and boot from the DVD and run a system repair and restore that media. I was totally stuck with no media center and no way to get anything back without reinstalling windows 8 from scratch.

Check out this article: The bottom has where we determined what the issue was.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... dia-center

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:32 pm

You can just create (or edit or delete) an ei.cfg file on any version install disc to turn it into any other version/install any other licence version.

Just FYI for the future.

jewrican

Post by jewrican » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:21 am

i was working directly with a MS rep very involved in the RTM release and he stated the media was missing the components needed because it was a volume license version.

Possible he was wrong and this is interesting info ... hopefully i never have to worry about finding out again but thanks!