So long, and thanks for all the fish

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
kingwr

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by kingwr » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:26 pm

RyC wrote:How does the HD picture quality compare to cable/DirecTV? I've always heard it's not as good, but are you able to notice a difference?
Even my wife has noticed the picture quality difference in the HD. Very noticeable in football games as well. I also get more pixelation and slow-motion/stuttering than I ever did with DirecTV. In fact, I don't remember having any such problems like that in DirecTV for many years, now.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:06 pm

Welcome back then! :D
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:29 pm

STC wrote:Welcome back then! :D
I hear you.

I've had it for a month, I've got my reward, and from everything I can tell, I have no contract with AT&T. Nothing stopping me from going back to DirecTV and taking the free Genie 4-Room deal...except exhaustion from switching over last month. Switching back would be a no brainer, infrastructure-wise however. Even my Harmony remote still has the "Watch DirecTV" activity still in there. I wouldn't be bringing back the Media Center, though.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:49 pm

I am back on DirecTV with an HR44 and 3 C41s (Genie minis). It's a pretty nice setup. Five tuners on the Genie, the UI is crisp and responsive on the minis (although the actual guide data or recording list takes a second or two to populate), and you get full functionality at the clients - including apps such as Pandora and Youtube. Plus my family is very happy to be back on DirecTV UI, 1080P pay-for-view, and the best PQ available IMO.

DirecTV left me with a couple of older H21s when I left them so I activated one of them, as well, for a total of 5 TVs. Total price $68.99 a month for the first year, then going to $93.99 for the second and third year, with a two year commitment. I got HBO/STARZ/SHO/CINE free for 3 months and 2013 NFL Sunday Ticket for free as well (neither of which I will use). Combine that with $29.99 all-inclusive for 30MB Internet from Charter for 12 months and I will save about $22 over my UVerse promotional rate in the first year (not to mention $90 a month from what I was paying). Now if DirecTV could only see their way clear to providing Netflix and Amazon VOD apps on the Genie and clients...

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:05 pm

That's similar to my old DirecTV setup, and a great deal. They have a pretty good lineup and excellent equipment. I liked it a lot. But what killed it for me was after the promos run out, that 4 room system is $43 in fees alone ($25 + $6x3). So with HTPC, I'm saving over $500/year plus I have 170 HD channels on cable plus all my local sub-channels versus 140 on DirecTV and needing an OTA tuner and antenna to get all my local sub-channels. Long term costs aside, I think you'll be very happy with DirecTV.