Display Driver Error with new laptop

bob_p

HTPC Specs: Show details

Display Driver Error with new laptop

Post by bob_p » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:53 pm

I just received a new laptop with an NVidia 780m graphics card and a 120Hz display, running Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, connected via Ethernet to a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime CableCard tuner.

When I try to view live TV in WMC, I get a "display driver error" about protected content. If it is a "clear QAM" channel, if I toggle between full screen and windowed mode, the channel will begin displaying properly. For protected channels, the toggle only provides about a second of audio - and then nothing except for the display driver error message.

I've been hunting through the online forums and search engines looking for a solution - and it's not clear there is one to this. One theory is that there could be an internal DisplayPort connection to the monitor - and DisplayPort is not currently supported by WMC for protected content. Another theory is that the problem may be corrected by resetting the DRM (which I will try).

Has anyone else encountered this problem - and found a solution?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:02 pm

Is the display connected via Display Port? Many laptops' internal displays are connected via Display Port. If yours is, then that's why you can't view copy-protected content. Display Port was not approved for use by Cable Labs when Media Center was written.

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:16 pm

I suspect that may be the issue - but since it's an internal display - don't know how I can verify the connection. The type of connection to the display doesn't show up in Device Manager. Though with a 120Hz display - it is probably using DP internally because HDMI can't handle 120Hz at 1920x1080.

I've tried all of the "reset DRM" hints I can find online - nothing worked - so it's probably DP. Something else I can try (when I get a chance) is to connect an external monitor to the HDMI port - and see if that works. If it does, that probably confirms the DP issue.

Unfortunate...

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:23 pm

What is the model of the laptop?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:26 pm

richard1980 wrote:What is the model of the laptop?
I'm so glad that you're willing to do the OP's research for him/her. I'm not.