Opinion - The reason Ceton won't fix Echo

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
allensbad

HTPC Specs: Show details

Opinion - The reason Ceton won't fix Echo

Post by allensbad » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:37 pm

I opened a support ticket with Ceton in regards to the issues I am having with Echo, I received this response about a week later.

Hi Allen. The Echo is very much alive. It supports the official specs that have been published since we launched it last year (please refer to the Echo product page at http://cetoncorp.com/products/echo/ for details). The Echo is based on proprietary extender code licensed from Microsoft, which severely limits our ability to change or extend the platform. One of the goals of adding Android was to have much more flexibility in extending the features and capabilities than is possible with the Microsoft code itself. Unfortunately enabling Android proved not to be possible despite a massive efforts on our part.

We’ll continue to sell and support Echo as a Media Center Extender. It’s remains the best solution available for anyone that wants the core Extender feature set of whole-home TV, DVR, movies, music and video in a great looking, small, silent, power-efficient device.

Thanks,
Ceton

So there you have the answer to why Ceton has done nothing to fix the Echo, as far as they see it it’s working as advertised.

Moderator note: Title edited for greater clarity

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:09 pm

allensbad wrote:"It supports the official specs that have been published since we launched it last year"
Of course it does (except for the Web browser and the playback of WMV files). Nowhere in the official specs do they say the device will be stable or playback the supported file types without stutter.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:08 pm

allensbad wrote:I opened a support ticket with Ceton in regards to the issues I am having with Echo, I received this response about a week later.
Viewing the looking glass from the other side, that really doesn't mean Ceton can't tweak their SoC code to work more fluidly within the existing constraints of the MS extender code. That is, if their echosystem (points?) can be massaged further into submission.

Pure conjecture and yet more speculation. Next Please.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Undutchable

Post by Undutchable » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:44 am

STC wrote:Pure conjecture and yet more speculation. Next Please.
Oké, cut the crap, and tell us something about the future of Echo developing.

FWIW, I'm pretty happy regarding TV-functionality, sometimes a restart of the channel, but mostly fine for me and the mrs.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Undutchable wrote:...tell us something about the future of Echo developing.
I know as much as all of you, as do the rest of the TGB staff, and don't have any information to give sorry.

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:29 pm

allensbad wrote: The Echo is based on proprietary extender code licensed from Microsoft, which severely limits our ability to change or extend the platform.
That raises an interesting issue: if Ceton were to change the MS code enough to eliminate stutter and other problems, would it violate their license with MS?

Another issue: if the extender code must be licensed from MS, and if it's the limiting factor in playback quality, then a hypothetical Echo2 won't solve the problems. It seems like TiVo, which developed its own platform and DRM implementation, did the right thing by not buying into the Windows echosystem [sic] (shout out to STC for coining this new word).
Dean L. Surkin

STC

Post by STC » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Dean L. Surkin wrote:shout out to STC
Big up. Booyakasha :shifty:

ucfknight

Post by ucfknight » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Dean L. Surkin wrote:
allensbad wrote: The Echo is based on proprietary extender code licensed from Microsoft, which severely limits our ability to change or extend the platform.
That raises an interesting issue: if Ceton were to change the MS code enough to eliminate stutter and other problems, would it violate their license with MS?
The stutter has nothing to do with the extender code. It has everything to do with the underpowered, flawed chip that Ceton decided to use.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Dean L. Surkin wrote:if Ceton were to change the MS code enough to eliminate stutter and other problems
If other extenders implement the exact same code, yet they don't stutter, then the stuttering can't be caused by the code.
Dean L. Surkin wrote:would it violate their license with MS?
That depends on the license agreement. If the agreement requires using the code exactly as-is, then modifying the code would violate the agreement.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:40 pm

ucfknight wrote:
Dean L. Surkin wrote:
The stutter has nothing to do with the extender code. It has everything to do with the underpowered, flawed chip that Ceton decided to use.
Do you have a source?

Define, "stutter" more specifically. When does it occur? What video format is it?

I have a pretty good inkling through my own personal use that the only stutter that occurs is only on 24fps content that needs to be converted to 60fps and what is seen is actually 3:2 pull down judder. Everything else is buttery smooth for me.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Most video plays fine for me. Most of my movies are WTV h264 (some mpeg2). The only issue I have is MP4 steams of Revision3. There is still some judder and the audio and video are not always in sync. Initially it did not work at all so there has been some improvement.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:09 pm

I do know that the audio lags the video by a tiny but noticeable amount.

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Define, "stutter" more specifically. When does it occur? What video format is it?
All my files are native WMC recordings (*.WTV). Whenever we start watching a show, after about one minute, the video freezes and audio stops. About 30 seconds later, the video and audio resume (skipping content slightly). It's a gigabit network with professional CAT6 wiring throughout the house, and all network tests report excellent performance.

Also, the response to the remote control is still mediocre. Particularly annoying is the fact that when I fast forward through a commercial and then hit play, the Echo skips ahead about one minute from when I hit play. I'm resigned to either re-winding or watching the last minute of commercials, and this keeps WAF low and engenders spousal comments about TiVo.
Dean L. Surkin