Windows Phone Mango...SOON!

Experiences and questions about WMC on your iPhone, Droid, WP7, and more.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows Phone Mango...SOON!

Post by newfiend » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:55 pm

From all the signs over at The Windows Phone site and http://www.wpcentral.com .. More info here: http://www.wpcentral.com/it-s-here-micr ... go-release
it looks as if our Windows Phones will be enjoying some Mango update goodness shortly. If you are on AT&T or Sprint in the U.S. the roll out is supposed to start sometime today but might take a few days/weeks to complete. Can't wait to update my Focus v 1.3 to the latest build!! :D
If you have a Samsung focus v1.4 you will be waiting a bit longer for the update as that phone is still in Testing and the update will arrive @ mid to end of Oct. :(
newfiend~

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:16 pm

Starts today if.... Microsoft hasn't botched this update like every other.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:49 am

Just got Mango..OMG.. Its AWESOME! Thanks MS for work well done. Update went super smooth too.. Love it.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:33 am

Ill pass on the comments to my friend who worked on it.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:27 am

Stoopid friggin T-Mobile. Rolling Mango to all handsets except the Samsung Omnia 7. Guess which one I have?

T-Mobile may have sold other handsets in Europe, who cares, but here I think they only sold the Omnia, so not pushing the update to that handset means they aren't pushing Mango at all. So I call a lie to the Where is my Update page!

Yet again Orange customers with the Omnia get the update straight away. Here in the UK Orange and T-Mobile are in fact one company, not two like in the rest of Europe. Why oh why oh why oh why am I getting screwed again??

Trying to force the update using the instructions on wpcentral.com doesn't seem to work either.

Grrrr.....

</Rant>

Sorry.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Sorry your not getting the update yet.. It is well worth the wait.. They did an Amazing job! I know reports like that aren't making things better for you but you will be very pleased with the outcome.
@makryger yes please pass on my comments.. The phone now feels a lot more feature complete. An amazing jump in quality and features.. Highly impressed! The phone is much faster too.. Bravo MS..Bravo! :D

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:59 pm

http://www.windows7news.com/2011/09/28/ ... one-mango/

Get Mango Now w/o waiting. No "hacking" required... just an "accidental" disruption of you internet connection when checking for updates. Heck-- I probably would have had that happen for real with the way my internet goes out sometimes!
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:52 pm

Yup that's how I got mango on mine.. Gotta love the wireless on/off toggle button on my daughters laptop. Got Zune to deliver my Mango a few days early. :D

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:02 pm

Got fed up waiting an indefinite period for T-Mobile to get their act together, so I took matters into my own hands. Flashed the ROM on my Omnia with an unlocked retail version and it then updated all the way to Mango without issue. Mango is indeed nice.

I used the steps here to flash the ROM: http://www.callumpy.co.uk/2011/10/how-t ... -mango7-5/

Now, why oh why is on-device podcast downloading restricted to US only??? Makes no sense to me.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:11 pm

I'm quite amazed at how much better it is. The multitasking is a big improvement (now I can listen to my local station via TuneIn plugin w/o having it stop when I do other things). But it sucks that not all apps are automatically background aware.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:24 am

TBH, multitasking isn't a big deal to me and I'm glad apps aren't automatically multitasking aware. The only instances where I did want it was with TuneIn (great app) when listening to the F1 practice sessions or the Test Matches.

I've also got on device podcast downloading to work, but it seems to have a fairly major bug. If I delete an episode then WP7 just downloads it again immediately. There are a few posts about this on t'interweb, so it's not just me suffering this.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:17 pm

I have been really happy with the Mango update. It has some major improvements. There are a few quirky things here and there but 99% of the time it has been pretty flawless. It is a dramatic improvement in the OS. The multitasking isn't something I thought I would use much but find myself using it more and more. The FB and Twitter integration is a nice feature and fits in with their people first slogan they are pushing. This was my first smart phone and I couldn't be happier with it.
Hopefully as time goes on more features will come to other countries that are only available here for the time being. They want to make this an enjoyable experience for everyone using the phone. I am sure they are working to bring as much to the platform as possible as soon as possible. I have had my Samsung Focus for a year now and Mango just made it like having a brand new phone with a simple update.
newfiend~

dduk

Post by dduk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Two days after receiving Mango on my HD7, HTC phoned to tell me they're sending the new Titan my way.

I'm hoping that teathering and video calling won't be disabled on the 'built-for-mango' device as it currently is on the HD7. That aside, it's a great update. I just hope MS stick with Windows Phone.