Media auto-playing on resume from standby

breakthestatic

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media auto-playing on resume from standby

Post by breakthestatic » Wed May 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Hey everyone, I'm running Win7 x64 WMC and am having an issue with media automatically playing whenever the machine resumes from sleep. The PC wakes from sleep for several reasons (turning on an extender or the late-night guide data download/optimization). Whenever this happens, whatever I was watching prior to putting the machine to sleep begins playing. I've noticed WMC resuming movies that I was watching via Media Browser, as well as tuning to live tv. Is there any way to stop this? It's rather annoying (and sometimes scary) hearing loud explosions every night at 4am - when my machine is scheduled to download updates.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:54 pm

All you have to do is stop media playback before you put the computer to sleep. You're already pushing a button to put the computer to sleep (WMC will not allow a computer to automatically enter sleep if media playback is occurring, so the only way to put the computer to sleep is to do it manually), so what's one more button press? Better yet, set your power options to automatically sleep, then all you have to do is push the stop button and walk away. All you'd be doing is trading one button press for another.

breakthestatic

Post by breakthestatic » Fri May 17, 2013 6:07 pm

I already do this myself most of the time, so possibly my girlfriend doesn't and that's when I notice it coming back on. An easy enough behavior change for me if that's the case, but in any event, there isn't a way to change this setting to never resume (for the times that manually pressing stop is missed?)

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:57 pm

A "never resume" option is achieved by disabling wake timers in the system power options. However, I wouldn't recommend using this option because disabling wake timers would prevent the computer from waking to perform scheduled tasks such as starting a recording or downloading updates. Your best option would be to stop media playback before the computer goes to sleep.

breakthestatic

Post by breakthestatic » Fri May 17, 2013 6:59 pm

richard1980 wrote:A "never resume" option is achieved by disabling wake timers in the system power options. However, I wouldn't recommend using this option because disabling wake timers would prevent the computer from waking to perform scheduled tasks such as starting a recording or downloading updates. Your best option would be to stop media playback before the computer goes to sleep.
Oh I meant never resume playback, not never resume the PC itself. Oh well. Maybe I can figure out a way to send the stop keyboard command to wmc using task scheduler whenever the computer is starting to enter sleep.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:01 pm

You can also set a "never resume" option with MCE Standby Tool (aka MST). It works great. There are several options to choose from. I choose to close Media Center completely when the PC goes to sleep (and I start it again only when the PC wakes due to user interaction - but I do this with EventGhost). That way, there is no possibility of any annoying warning messages that pop-up while a recording is in progress (and nobody is watching TV). Those messages prevent the PC from going back to sleep.

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:07 am

The playback is stopped before going to sleep but when WMC it begins playing what I was playing in Mediabrowser. Any way to fix this?