DVD ROM for Linksys DMA2200

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
ADX

HTPC Specs: Show details

DVD ROM for Linksys DMA2200

Post by ADX » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:13 am

Hi There,

Does anyone know where I can get a new DVD ROM drive for a Linksys DMA2200 or can I replace the unit with another unbranded model?

Many thanks

:sick:

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:27 pm

I got one of those too, with busted up DVD ROM. I haven't tried to replace, yet, but it looks like standard PATA DVD ROM drive in there with proprietary front fascia. I haven't located inexpensive PATA DVD ROM, but do have a spare PATA DVD-RW and hope it will work. Just haven't had time to swap them.

Please post results if you find something that I should know.

Opening DMA2200 was easy, screws on the back, and the top slides. Don't remember now if you pop the front panel first.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:30 am

I read somewhere that if you change/alter the DVD drive, the whole unit stops functioning. The thing I read said that it was some kind of protection against altering the firmware. I don't know how accurate that is.

I will say this... the DMA-2200 makes a terrible DVD player. You're better off just using it as an extender, and using a separate DVD/Bluray player.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:33 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I read somewhere that if you change/alter the DVD drive, the whole unit stops functioning. The thing I read said that it was some kind of protection against altering the firmware. I don't know how accurate that is.

I will say this... the DMA-2200 makes a terrible DVD player. You're better off just using it as an extender, and using a separate DVD/Bluray player.

hrm, that would certainly suck if replacement DVD-ROM locks it up. Does the unit unlock when you revert to the old DVD-ROM?

I can't find that information anywhere. Are you sure you are not thinking of XBOX360? Replacing the orginal DVD-ROM will get it banned from Live, for sure.

ADX

Post by ADX » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi there everyone. I have changed the DVD rom with a non-branded and the unit hasn't locked me out. However, I thought that changing it would change it to region 2 but alas nope. Going to see if I can get hold of a region 2 firmware and over write the existing.

If you do change the DVD rom. You may have to customise the front DVD panel.....

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:40 pm

ADX wrote:Hi there everyone. I have changed the DVD rom with a non-branded and the unit hasn't locked me out. However, I thought that changing it would change it to region 2 but alas nope. Going to see if I can get hold of a region 2 firmware and over write the existing.

If you do change the DVD rom. You may have to customise the front DVD panel.....
That's interesting. I may be wrong. About your region thing... did you try installing the DVD drive in a PC and setting the region code? It is my understanding that the region is set in the DVD-ROM drive (at least it is on a PC).

ADX

Post by ADX » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:17 am

Thanks for the tip. I will try and let you know.

ADX

Post by ADX » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:16 pm

Well, I happen to have two units and swapped the drives over since I know that one unit works with region 2 disc. After putting them back together both units will not play region 2 DVD's. I haven't had the chance to switch them back as yet. But it does look like that both the DVD drive and the unit are regionalised and simply placing a region 2 drive is not going to work.

Does anyone out there have the firmware of region 2 device or know where I can obtain one?

:sick:

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:54 pm

I couldn't locate a DVD-ROM with PATA connector, so, I installed a DVD-RW drive, and now have the ability to play burned DVD's, which were hit or miss with the original drive.