So now what? Move on?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
richard1980

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by richard1980 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:47 pm

JohnW248 wrote:How much variation do you see?
The variation varies by frequency. I haven't done a full scan of all frequencies yet. I just picked a handful of frequencies and did a side-by-side comparison between the InfiniTV and the HDHRP. I'd like to find a tool for the HDHRP that will go through all frequencies and log the signal strength. I have the tool that WhatHappend made for the InfiniTV, but I don't have a similar tool for the HDHRP. But until I find such a tool, I'll have to do a manual side-by-side comparison, and I just haven't had time to go through all frequencies yet.
foxwood wrote:May you and Richard are both nuts :)
That is quite possible!
foxwood wrote:how long does the HDHRP take to become available from power on?
About 8 seconds after Windows boots, and about 23 seconds after power is applied to the HDHRP.
foxwood wrote:I can't be the only WMC user that hasn't watched live TV in years, and waking for recordings doesn't have a problem with this.
I don't often watch live TV, but I would still like to have the tuners available as soon after boot/wake as possible, particularly when a tuner error requires a reboot before a recording can be started.
foxwood wrote:It's a HTPC. How often do you quit WMC?
I actually use it for more than just HTPC duties, but I don't exit WMC very often. Most times I just minimize WMC to perform other tasks, but sometimes I end up closing WMC.
foxwood wrote:And if you don't quit WMC, you won't see 3 seconds of donut when you restart.
It's actually 5 seconds 15 seconds after WMC starts.
foxwood wrote:
Third, the InfiniTV4 has an issue where the on-screen picture will often contain a single line of pixelation. The HDHRP does not do this.
I have never seen this on my InfiniTV4.
Many other people (myself included) have. I'm not sure what causes it...all I know is the issue doesn't exist with the HDHRP.
foxwood wrote:From where I sit, the 4th tuner in the InfiniTV more than makes up for any perceived shortcomings.
I agree that the 4th tuner is very valuable, but only for people that need it. In my case, I currently have 7 tuners installed (with the 4 InfiniTV tuners temporarily disabled), and have no expectation of requiring an 8th tuner. In fact, I don't anticipate needing more than 6 tuners...so I could actually replace the InfiniTV with a 2nd HDHRP. I don't think dropping from 4 tuners to 3 will suffice though.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:47 pm

foxwood wrote:I can't be the only WMC user that hasn't watched live TV in years, and waking for recordings doesn't have a problem with this.
My problem was not limited to Live TV. The "spinning donut", as Richard puts it, prevented me from watching recordings for about 30 seconds.
foxwood wrote:It's a HTPC. How often do you quit WMC?
I have mine set to close Media Center every time the PC goes to sleep. Media Center only starts when a human wakes the PC, using the remote control, the keyboard, or the power button on the PC. This way, any emergency broadcasts or message boxes that pop up while the PC is recording a show (but nobody is watching TV) won't be waiting for me when I turn on the TV.
foxwood wrote:
Third, the InfiniTV4 has an issue where the on-screen picture will often contain a single line of pixelation. The HDHRP does not do this.
I have never seen this on my InfiniTV4.
The HDHRP did not solve my pixellation problem. However, it solved a bunch of other problems that I was just "living with" and did not complain about (because I thought they were "normal") until I realized how much better the HDHRP was compared to the InfiniTV4.
foxwood wrote:From where I sit, the 4th tuner in the InfiniTV more than makes up for any perceived shortcomings.
I disagree whole heartedly. The HDHRP made my life easier. Sure, I had to buy a 2nd HDHRP (which was more than paid for by selling my InfiniTV4-PCIe), and I have to pay $2.95/month for a 2nd CableCARD... but that was well worth the ease of use, quickness of tuning, and stability of the HDHRP. Plus, I really liked the ability to hide the Tuning Adapter in a closet.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:19 pm

The spinning donut is a real pain on extenders that open and close. Combine that with the long boot for the Echo. Then consider the Echo needs to be restarted for no picture or no audio repeatedly on premium channels.

So after yet another horrible day watching Sunday premium channel lineup, the TiVo Roamio Plus and Mini arrived. So far my compliant with TiVo is the horribly slow ground shipping. Fortunately, the TiVo Roamio brought back Xfinity OnDemand so the messed up recordings from the previous night could be watched cleanly. It has been so long with the Echo, I forgot how poor the PQ. The Echo does not play these premium channels smooth.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:20 pm

jeonunh wrote: but having just moved into a new house, I'm not sure I want to bother running cat5 to the different rooms. I'm really thinking seriously about the Tivo Roamio...
Better look at it again, You will still need some sort of a network to connect Roamio and Mini's. They are Ethernet enabled by default, MoCA adapters are extra.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:32 pm

blueiedgod wrote:
jeonunh wrote: but having just moved into a new house, I'm not sure I want to bother running cat5 to the different rooms. I'm really thinking seriously about the Tivo Roamio...
Better look at it again, You will still need some sort of a network to connect Roamio and Mini's. They are Ethernet enabled by default, MoCA adapters are extra.
The Roamio Plus and Pro have built-in MoCA, so no adapters are necessary.

FWIW, swapping the HDD in the Plus was a 5 minute exercise. I used one of my spare 3TB Seagate NAS drives for the upgrade.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Does that void warranty?

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:04 pm

shortcut3d wrote:The spinning donut is a real pain on extenders that open and close. Combine that with the long boot for the Echo. Then consider the Echo needs to be restarted for no picture or no audio repeatedly on premium channels.

So after yet another horrible day watching Sunday premium channel lineup, the TiVo Roamio Plus and Mini arrived. So far my compliant with TiVo is the horribly slow ground shipping. Fortunately, the TiVo Roamio brought back Xfinity OnDemand so the messed up recordings from the previous night could be watched cleanly. It has been so long with the Echo, I forgot how poor the PQ. The Echo does not play these premium channels smooth.
Still want me to try out your Echo? :P

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:17 pm

adam1991 wrote:Does that void warranty?
Technically yes it voids the warranty. According to the TiVo Community Forums TiVo has honored warranty on the now swapped components (i.e. logic board). Obviously, they will not warranty the new drive.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:23 pm

RyC wrote:
shortcut3d wrote:The spinning donut is a real pain on extenders that open and close. Combine that with the long boot for the Echo. Then consider the Echo needs to be restarted for no picture or no audio repeatedly on premium channels.

Sorry. The (2) Echos & InfiniTV6 ETH were expeditiously shipped out because I'm trying to offset the cost of the new TiVo setup.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Ah well, good luck with the new TiVo. Looks like you can view all TV & Netflix etc & even Comcast on demand from any box!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:01 pm

@shortcut3d: Please keep us updated on your likes/dislikes of the new TiVo setup. I'd definitely be interested in reading about your experience with it.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:56 pm

shortcut3d wrote:
RyC wrote:

Sorry. The (2) Echos & InfiniTV6 ETH were expeditiously shipped out because I'm trying to offset the cost of the new TiVo setup.
Shipped out where?

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:33 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:@shortcut3d: Please keep us updated on your likes/dislikes of the new TiVo setup. I'd definitely be interested in reading about your experience with it.
Just started a thread in the lounge.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:12 pm

shortcut3d wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:@shortcut3d: Please keep us updated on your likes/dislikes of the new TiVo setup. I'd definitely be interested in reading about your experience with it.
Just started a thread in the lounge.
Here?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:59 pm

shortcut3d wrote:
blueiedgod wrote:
The Roamio Plus and Pro have built-in MoCA, so no adapters are necessary.

FWIW, swapping the HDD in the Plus was a 5 minute exercise. I used one of my spare 3TB Seagate NAS drives for the upgrade.

Not the minis.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:29 pm

blueiedgod wrote:
shortcut3d wrote:The Roamio Plus and Pro have built-in MoCA, so no adapters are necessary.
Not the minis.
Then, please explain what the F-connector is for on the back of the Mini. According to everything I read on TiVo's website, the Mini has MoCa built-in.
specs_mini-annotated.jpg

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:36 pm

The Mini can join a MoCA network using the F-Connector. It can not act as a MoCA bridge to the Ethernet. The Roamio Plus and Pro can act as a bridge to the wired Ethernet.
Last edited by shortcut3d on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:37 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
blueiedgod wrote:
shortcut3d wrote:The Roamio Plus and Pro have built-in MoCA, so no adapters are necessary.
Not the minis.
Then, please explain what the F-connector is for on the back of the Mini. According to everything I read on TiVo's website, the Mini has MoCa built-in.
It does, just put him on ignore because he really doesn't what he's talking about wrt Tivos.