Windows 8 Pro with WMC suddenly not activated!

cncb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 8 Pro with WMC suddenly not activated!

Post by cncb » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:37 pm

I have been running Windows 8 Pro with WMC for about 10 months with no problems (purchased initial $40 upgrade). Suddenly, today it claims Windows is not activated. The only thing I did was sign in to my Microsoft "Store" account to download the Netflix app but this could have just been a coincidence. I try to re-input my WMC activation key and it says it can only be used for an "upgrade". I try my original Win 8 activation key and it says it is not valid for the product presumably because of the WMC pack. Has anyone experienced this before?

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Do the last 5 digits of your WMC key match what's listed as the current product key?

If not, assuming you still have "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center" then you should run the following as administrator:
slmgr.vbs /ipk TYPE-YOUR-KEY-RIGHT-HERE
and then (also as administrator)
slmgr.vbs /ato

If that doesn't work, disable your NIC (or unplug your network cable / disable wirelesss), reboot, try to re-activate and then use the Phone method. Be sure to select Option 1 when asked how many devices this key has been installed.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

cncb

Post by cncb » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:57 pm

It lists an empty current product key. The command line script gave me the same error about being an "upgrade" key only. How does one even get to the phone activation screen in Windows 8? It just gives me an error and no other options but try to enter the key again? Thanks.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:57 am

cncb wrote:It lists an empty current product key. The command line script gave me the same error about being an "upgrade" key only. How does one even get to the phone activation screen in Windows 8? It just gives me an error and no other options but try to enter the key again? Thanks.
Phone activation is the same as it was in Win 7. I've had to do it a couple of times when doing some re-installs.

cncb

Post by cncb » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:16 pm

I can't seem to get to that phone activation screen with all the numbers that you have to give them so perhaps some system files were corrupted somehow...

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:05 pm

You should be able to do a non destructive repair by booting to the windows 8 disk and
selecting advanced options.
It would be something like reset my computer but keep my files.
Might help if some data got corrupted.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:30 pm

cncb wrote:I can't seem to get to that phone activation screen with all the numbers that you have to give them so perhaps some system files were corrupted somehow...
Are you saying "slui.exe 4" isn't working?

cncb

Post by cncb » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:53 pm

mdavej wrote:Are you saying "slui.exe 4" isn't working?
That command brings me to a screen where it has an "Activate" button and "Buy new key" button. If I click on "Activate" and input my key an error message box pops up and when I dismiss that it stays right on to the same screen with the same 2 buttons on it. I don't see any way to get to the phone activation screen.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:04 pm

Hmm... probably because your key is completely blank at the moment. I'm afraid you'll have to repair or reinstall as suggested earlier.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:06 pm

8.1 RTM is officially released, why not just reinstall that?

cncb

Post by cncb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:32 pm

I don't have an MSDN subscription and I was under the impression that it would be an update through the Windows Store for the rest of us anyways?

In any case, I think I will just use this opportunity to put Windows 7 back on this PC since I am having some trouble with my audio interface anyways and put this copy of Win 8 on a different PC (and hope this surprise de-activation doesn't happen again).

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:30 pm

cncb wrote:I don't have an MSDN subscription and I was under the impression that it would be an update through the Windows Store for the rest of us anyways?

In any case, I think I will just use this opportunity to put Windows 7 back on this PC since I am having some trouble with my audio interface anyways and put this copy of Win 8 on a different PC (and hope this surprise de-activation doesn't happen again).
I just bit the bullet and did the same thing. Since Win 8 is never going to work well with my Ceton Echos, it was either that or go through the hassle of selling them and getting Xboxes again (yuck).