WMC with M4V videos over network

timdafweak

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC with M4V videos over network

Post by timdafweak » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:03 pm

I am unable to figure this one out.

I recently assembled an HTPC with a core i3 3225 and Intel HD4000 to replace my STB. I am now using HDHomeRun Prime. I am running Win 7 x64 with 4GB RAM and 500GB 5400RPM HDD. It is not a great machine by any stretch of the imagination, but it works well for the purpose. I also have the entire house wired for Gbps LAN, to which this computer is connected as well. Live TV works fantastically, so much so that the wife doesn't notice a difference from the STB we used ot have.

Where I am running into issues, is streaming home movies from my Mac Pro server. Shared via SMB, they are in a variety of formats, ranging from MPEG2 to MPEG4 (x264), 480p to 1080p. Whenever I play one on WMC, it plays fine for about a minute and then quits. WMC goes back to the PLAY, DELETE screen. Playing again will play a little longer the next time and quit again. It ONLY happens when I stream the video. If I copy it to my computer and play, it plays flawlessly.

Which leads me to believe it is a network issue, although I can't figure out why. File transfers between the computers clock at 75-90 (MBps) which is about what one can expect with Gbps LAN.

Any input would be very welcome!

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:33 pm

timdafweak wrote:Shared via SMB, they are in a variety of formats, ranging from MPEG2 to MPEG4 (x264), 480p to 1080p. Whenever I play one on WMC, it plays fine for about a minute and then quits. WMC goes back to the PLAY, DELETE screen. Playing again will play a little longer the next time and quit again. It ONLY happens when I stream the video. If I copy it to my computer and play, it plays flawlessly.

Which leads me to believe it is a network issue, although I can't figure out why. File transfers between the computers clock at 75-90 (MBps) which is about what one can expect with Gbps LAN.
When you say "stream", you mean play from a network share, right? "Streaming" usually implies some sort of streaming server, rather than just a network share.

It sounds like the Samba implementation on the Mac is missing something that WMC is looking for. I don't know anything about the Samba sharing on a Mac, so I don't have any specific suggestions, but if I was in your shoes, that's where I'd start looking.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:36 am

foxwood wrote:It sounds like the Samba implementation on the Mac is missing something that WMC is looking for. I don't know anything about the Samba sharing on a Mac, so I don't have any specific suggestions, but if I was in your shoes, that's where I'd start looking.
Agreed. Sounds like something on the Mac's end.

timdafweak

Post by timdafweak » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Thanks Foxwood & 3rob3. Indeed. I misspoke when I wrote stream. I am playing from the Network drive.

That said, your posts were right on the money. They made me investigate a bit more. Mountain Lion's Samba implementation is notoriously bad apparently. Although the issue I ran into hasn't been reported, I decided to install a utility called SMBUP that reinstates support for Samba on ML. Lo and behold, all problems gone! Playing on WMC works like a charm.

Thank you very much! I've been on the Mac side of things for far too long.