Optimization Good or Bad??

soccerdad

HTPC Specs: Show details

Optimization Good or Bad??

Post by soccerdad » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Just curious, are any of you running the optimization utility? I am kind of a "if it aint broke don't mess with it" kind of guy. Any good reason to have it on?

STC

Post by STC » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Please define?

[edit] If you are referring to Media Center Optimization in Tasks, then yes it is worth setting up. It shuts down and restarts the eh* Media Center processes and performs optimization tasks like re-indexing your media for faster retrieval of your media.
You will want to set this up for the early hours of the morning sometime.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

soccerdad

Post by soccerdad » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:02 am

Yes, that is what I was talking about. Sorry for being so vague. Thanks for the input. I just wanted to make sure it was not something that keeps adding patches and stuff that really ends up breaking things.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:43 am

I've never been able to make it work.

Its default run time is 4:00am, a time when the computer is normally off. Yet it never wakes up to run.

Edit: I should add that all it does is shuts down and restarts each media center task. It seems there's a memory leak that Microsoft cant track down so thats the fix they came up with. I've never had a problem so combined with it not waking the computer, I dont have it enabled.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:47 am

I'm not sure it's rigged to wake the PC. mine is on 24/7 so don't have an issue running it. And yes it's pretty much there to help prevent a few bugs becoming a problem :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:47 am

I use MCE Standby Tool, and it has settings to automatically reboot. I have it set to boot daily. It does it automatically after guide updates each night. Rebooting stops the eh* processes and all the others. Works fine for me. I don't use the Media Center optimization task.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:21 am

I have been trying to track down an issue that has plagued my system for awhile now, and I stumbled across this option. From what I've read hear and elsewhere on the interwebs, this just restarts any eh_ service. Sounds harmless enough... and at this point, I'm running out of (inexpensive) things to try. So, I figured, what the hell... I'll enable it.

The concerns - some sources I read, said that it won't run optimization if a recording is scheduled or if system is in use. But, documentation makes it sound like it will bounce the services no matter what. Can anyone weigh in on how optimization behaves?

Also, I assume that this creates a scheduled task to run at the specified time. I looked through Task Scheduler, and I couldn't find a listing for it. Does one exist? Or is this optimization task handled a different way?