'Contact the Retailer' message with InfiniTV6

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
werds

HTPC Specs: Show details

'Contact the Retailer' message with InfiniTV6

Post by werds » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:35 pm

SO I get home early thinking I will install the InfiniTV6 that had just arrived prior to anyone else getting home, pair it up and be good... yea right...

There was a technical problem
during the authorization of
this device. Please contact
the retailer.

So now I can't pair it... wife gets home in a half hour and I will need to remove it re-install the old one and hope things aren't wonky wth that.. not to mention finding out from ceton what is wrong with this particular item...
:( (Yes ticket already submitted...)

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Are you upgrading from the InfiniTV 4?

What service provider are you using?

I recently upgraded from the InfiniTV 4 to the InfiniTV 6 ETH. I had to go through a complete re-pairing of my cablecard with Comcast on the phone in order for it to work properly. You obviously can't just stick the cablecard into the new InfiniTV 6 and expect it to work--different Host ID's etc. I'm assuming from your post that you've gone through the reauthorization/re-pairing with the cable company?
Last edited by joelkirzner on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:46 pm

A quick google for that error message suggests that you have a cable card problem, not a tuner problem. (TiVo users and even people using CableCo DVRs report messages with exactly the same wording).

Did you get a new cable-card, or did you just try to swap the card from an existing tuner? If you are using an existing card, was it paired with the existing tuner, and if so, did you contact your provider to "un-pair" it before switching it into the new card?

werds

Post by werds » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:52 pm

foxwood wrote:A quick google for that error message suggests that you have a cable card problem, not a tuner problem. (TiVo users and even people using CableCo DVRs report messages with exactly the same wording).

Did you get a new cable-card, or did you just try to swap the card from an existing tuner? If you are using an existing card, was it paired with the existing tuner, and if so, did you contact your provider to "un-pair" it before switching it into the new card?
Was swapping a working one and did not call to unpair. Think a quick call to unpair and pair with new device should resolve it?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Most Cable Cos pair the card with a specific device. It sounds like you need to call them and go through that process. Do a quick search online to see if there's a specific number for cable-card support for your provider.

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:47 am

werds wrote:
foxwood wrote:A quick google for that error message suggests that you have a cable card problem, not a tuner problem. (TiVo users and even people using CableCo DVRs report messages with exactly the same wording).

Was swapping a working one and did not call to unpair. Think a quick call to unpair and pair with new device should resolve it?
Read my previous post.
You MUST call the cable company and re-pair the cablecard to the new InfiniTV 6. The HOST ID # is different for every Ceton device. You can not simply swap the card out of one tuner and place it in another tuner and expect it to work. I will not.

Call to re-pair and reauthorize. You will need to get to the TV setup screen that has the cablecard ID/serial and Host ID numbers. Or use the Ceton diagnostics tool to get all the info.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:57 am

joelkirzner wrote:
Read my previous post.
You MUST call the cable company and re-pair the cablecard to the new InfiniTV 6. The HOST ID # is different for every Ceton device. You can not simply swap the card out of one tuner and place it in another tuner and expect it to work. I will not.

Call to re-pair and reauthorize. You will need to get to the TV setup screen that has the cablecard ID/serial and Host ID numbers. Or use the Ceton diagnostics tool to get all the info.
What they don't tell you is if you are moving a cableCARD from one device to another, you need a Tech that knows how the backend system works at that cable company.

For example, at TWC it will require that they remove the cableCARD from the account and then start a new entry for the new host ID and card ID. Failure to do that on TWC results in a cableCARD that doesn't work since the DCN thinks that the card is still in use on another device and has now "been stolen".

If it didn't work before, call back and it is usually best to have the old host ID and card ID and new host ID and card ID. Doing it that way I've moved cards between devices many times without issue.

werds

Post by werds » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:02 am

joelkirzner wrote:
werds wrote:

Read my previous post.

Yep, was already aware that when I swapped it I would need to re-pair. This error was thrown for a different reason and not for the ones provided. I already knew about having to re-pair as I have done this before - just this was the first time this error was thrown up and because of this error WMC and Ceton Diagnostics refused to provide host id info, Cable card info etc etc. that particular box just listed the error and said contact retailer.

Now thankfully, Foxwoods original post helped me figure it out though. I contacted comcast and told the lady I had a specific cable card I needed to unpair and then re-pair to a new tuner. She even told me that was unnecessary (the unpairing part) that I only needed to swap them and activate (basically a simple pair). After some explanation about how I had 2 cable cards she realized that for some odd reason my account was only showing ONE cable card. After some brief searching they had somehow in their system left one of my Cable Cards on an orphaned account that was inactive... although the cable card on my end was working and pulling in all the channels plus the premiums I pay for... she claims it should have never been working, yet it was. I would have never known this occurred any time soon except for my attempt to upgrade the tuner throwing this message, because basically in their system the cable card in question was no in actual use.

Thanks for the help though it helped me narrow down my issue pretty quickly :) So now I can move on to stress testing the InfiniTV6 Pcie.

werds

Post by werds » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:05 am

JohnW248 wrote:
joelkirzner wrote:
Read my previous post.

What they don't tell you is if you are moving a cableCARD from one device to another, you need a Tech that knows how the backend system works at that cable company.

For example, at TWC it will require that they remove the cableCARD from the account and then start a new entry for the new host ID and card ID. Failure to do that on TWC results in a cableCARD that doesn't work since the DCN thinks that the card is still in use on another device and has now "been stolen".

If it didn't work before, call back and it is usually best to have the old host ID and card ID and new host ID and card ID. Doing it that way I've moved cards between devices many times without issue.
I think you nailed it as that might be the way they were treating my card. Not sure why it happened since I had previously swapped cable cards multiple times with simple activations - but those were always infiniTV4 to infinTV4.