USB UIRT alternatives? I want a different receiver

andy_d

HTPC Specs: Show details

USB UIRT alternatives? I want a different receiver

Post by andy_d » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:08 am

One that will pick up any button command sent. I'm currently using a USB UIRT and for some reason it'll pick up different remote codes for the same programmed button throwing things off when I'm trying to control them

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:37 pm

There is a way, with EventGhost, to make the standard eHome IR receiver be able to capture any IR code. It requires installing a particular EG plugin (and starting the associated service), and then modifying a registry entry after starting the service (followed by a reboot). If you want more details, let me know.

But... it still picks up varying codes from some remote controls because some remote controls intentionally code hop. What I've done is to just add the event for every possible command that can come from a button to the EG macro(s) that I want the button to trigger.

andy_d

Post by andy_d » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:14 pm

Ah ok. The only issue I its that one button sent like 10 different commands. I guess I'll see if it is consistent and dump them in as well

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:37 pm

You could be seeing interference from fluorescent lighting or even from the screen itself. After getting EG to display an event for everything that the IR receiver picks up, it was easy to see when there was interference from the TV and/or lighting.

I switched to LED lighting and that eliminated the CFL problem. Then, I moved the IR receiver around until I found a good position where it didn't pick up any reflected light from the TV screen.

andy_d

Post by andy_d » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:52 pm

You could be right about the positioning. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the help!

SalvadorNorton

Post by SalvadorNorton » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:04 am

barnabas1969 wrote:You could be seeing interference from fluorescent lighting or even from the screen itself. After getting EG to display an event for everything that the IR receiver picks up, it was easy to see when there was interference from the TV and/or lighting.

I switched to led light and that eliminated the CFL problem. Then, I moved the IR receiver around until I found a good position where it didn't pick up any reflected light from the TV screen.
Ok glad you shared the information.. I am facing same problem and now I will try your method..

offroad

Post by offroad » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:13 am

This looks interesting. I might be having IR interference and was wondering how to test for that. Using EVENT GHOST there is a way.