Tuning Adapter Info

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Tyler9

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuning Adapter Info

Post by Tyler9 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:03 pm

I'm not sure of a couple of things with regards to Tuning Adapters. .

Do I need just one for each Ceton InfiniTV (i.e. will they support 4 or 6 tuners at once)

Also, when I'm viewing channels that are not SDV, does the TA send any information about what I'm tuned to the provider?

Sorry if this information has already been posted, my google-fu has failed me so far on this. Local Cox has finally moved channels I care about to SDV and I finally have to bite the bullet.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:10 am

The latest FW versions of both the Moto and Cisco TAs will handle up to six signal streams. You need one TA per CableCARD since that's how they're paired. (I.e. if you have a SD six tuner which is two three tuner units in a single case, it requires two TAs for the six channels). Once you have a TA on the system, the channel map and tuning information is handled by the TA and not the channel map from the cableCARD. Therefore tuning to a broadcast (always on) channel will still get information from the TA and will have a session started for that channel. The TA doesn't need to send request to the node/head end for a broadcast (always on) channel and it has a buffer that keeps it posted as to the channels that are SDV that currently are available on your node so it can pick up one of those without sending a request and it also lets the node know what you're doing with that channel, i.e. recording or viewing. This is important because SDV requests time out and if you jumped on channel someone else was using and was about to end its transmission, it good to know that your TA has extended that time.

Channels which are marked as "recording" won't time out and the message you see on live tv warning you are about to lose the channel (which you clear with a button press) are locally generated. You will probably only see these if you watch long programs like the Mecum Auto Auctions, etc which last longer than the time allotment for SDV channels.

Whether or not the TA tuning information is sent to the service provider, you should be aware that there is a warning in setting up cableCARD tuners that the information IS AVAILABLE to the service provider and while they can't poll a cableCARD, they can poll TAs. I don't know if they are collecting data on broadcast channels, but they do collect metrics on SDV channels.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:14 am

Pretty much all TAs support 6 streams now... some really old firmware might only support 2 and that is why you normally see references to a possible second TA.

The TA is responsible for all channel requests so any request for a channel does go through the TA* even though it may be in the cablecard's channel map... whether or not that means it always sends information to your provider of what you may be watching I do not know for certain as in theory if the channel is in the map, it does not need to request it and non sdv channels should always be in the map.

{edit by through the TA I don't necessarily mean back to the cable company as a request for the channel