How do I handle cable channel lineup changes with ceton

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
spanner

HTPC Specs: Show details

How do I handle cable channel lineup changes with ceton

Post by spanner » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Comcast here in Portland Oregon has made a handful of lineup changes, and added a few new channel numbers. in the past with my OTA/QAM tuners i would just rescan for the signal and add or change the channels. Now with my Ceton I don't see a way to make the changes. I have downloaded the current guide and that did not reflect the changes so I re ran TV setup and that also did not show the new channels, I know how to change the listings for a existing channel, but I am missing how to add a new channel Number. Do I just have to wait for the guide Data to catch up?

lovemyram4x4

Post by lovemyram4x4 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:30 pm

Your cable provider will send the new channel mapping to the cablecard just like if you were using one of their STBs, there's nothing for you to do. As for the the guide data your at the hands of who is supplying it, I still have many channels that don't even show anything and others that are constantly having missing or in correct data though I've complained and pointed out the issue many times, I gave up a long time ago.

spanner

Post by spanner » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:27 pm

I also have had my issues with guide data, but when you say the provider will send the channel mapping to the cable card should the new channel show up in WMC, even without the guide data. the channel in question lifetime movie network moved from 768 to 785 and the oxygen ch became 768. even though the guide is wrong ( I know how to change this) i can get the oxygen channel on 768, but in media center "edit channels i see no option to add a new channel 785. when i use cetons diagnostic tool under cablecard i am able to check channel autorization of 785 succesfully, but am i missing a way to add it to WMC or do i have to wait for ZAPit to update guide data with new channels.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:58 pm

No, the channel shouldn't show up without guide data. The channel map in the CableCARD is completely seperate from WMC, and WMC never gets any of the info from the CableCARD. Unfortunately, you will have to wait for Zap2it to update the listing. Once they do, it'll show up in WMC. In the meantime, glugglug wrote a program to edit the channels in WMC, so you may check it out and see if it will help. I don't know if it will work for a CableCARD lineup or not, but it may be worth a shot (then again, who knows, you may break something). See http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... spx#540772

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Also, you can expedite Zap2it by going to their website and looking for the Feedback link at the bottom of the listings page. It'll link you to a form where you can report the discrepency.

spanner

Post by spanner » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks everyone for the info, This was just enough different from My old OTA/QAM tuners to throw me. The one thing they have in common is relying on third party guide data which is less than perfect. Thanks again

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:39 pm

You can verify that your cablecard can tune the channel by using your ceton diagnostics program. Go to the cablecard tab - at the bottom there's a box where you can test tuning to any channel number you enter there.

See page 10 here: http://cetoncorp.com/documents/InfiniTV ... e_v1_3.pdf

spanner

Post by spanner » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:51 pm

EmirOfGroofunkistan wrote:You can verify that your cablecard can tune the channel by using your ceton diagnostics program. Go to the cablecard tab - at the bottom there's a box where you can test tuning to any channel number you enter there.

See page 10 here: http://cetoncorp.com/documents/InfiniTV ... e_v1_3.pdf
thanks, but I did that and ceton recognizes the channel, the problem is i dont know if there is a way to add the new channel to WMC without waiting for the guide info to catch up.

side note: i just went to zap2it and all the correct guide info was there, so i downloaded the WMC guide again but still not there. Must be lagtime before Zap2it passes it on to WMC.

This lineup change just happened today, so i probably just need to learn patience

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:34 pm

It usually takes a couple of days for the change to show up in WMC.