Unable to wake from sleep mode with remote or mouse

sensij

HTPC Specs: Show details

Unable to wake from sleep mode with remote or mouse

Post by sensij » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:54 am

I'm running Win8 (not 8.1) Pro w/ Media Center on my HTPC. My motherboard is a MSI FM2-A75MA-E35. I've got a Rosewill RRC-126 IR Remote that I'd like to use to put the system into sleep and bring it back up again. The system goes into sleep fine, but the only way I can get it back out is by pressing the power button on the case.

I've spent a number of hours researching this, and I'm stumped. When I have a mouse hooked up, it is unable to bring the system out of sleep as well.

I have gone through the device manager to make the power management for all of the HID, Mice, and USB Root Hubs have the "Allow computer to turn off this device" unchecked. Wherever possible, the "Allow this device to wake the computer" box is checked.

Powercfg -devicequery wake_armed shows both the mouse and the IR receiver.

I've toggled the Selective_Suspend setting between enabled and disabled.

I've looked in the BIOS settings for the wake from sleep control and selected Bios -> allow to wake from USB. I have also tried using OS Control instead of BIOS control. When in BIOS control, if I allow the PCI / PCIe to wake the system, it comes out of sleep immediately after going in.

I've disabled legacy USB control in the bios.

I've tried using the Standby tool, but haven't figured out if it is telling me anything more than what I can get from Powercfg.

Any other ideas out there?

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:40 pm

sensij wrote:The system goes into sleep fine, but the only way I can get it back out is by pressing the power button on the case. When I have a mouse hooked up, it is unable to bring the system out of sleep as well.
Your system would behave like this if it were in fact hibernating instead of transitioning to sleep. You may be fully aware of the difference between hibernation and sleep; if so, apologies, but I thought that it was worth mentioning.

Your post does not mention whether you modified the power plan that your system is using: Start -> Control Panel -> Power Options -> Edit Plan -> Advanced Options (or something like that). In the power plan, you can define what happens when you press the "Power button" (power button on the system unit), the "Sleep button" (power button on the remote control), and the lid action (for laptops). If your sleep button is defined as causing hibernation, you would be able to hibernate the system using the remote control, but not wake it from hibernation using the remote control.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

sensij

Post by sensij » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks for the response. I should have included the power plan modification you mentioned in my original post. The power button has been set to "Sleep". When I had tried using the MCE Standby tool to see if it would help, I also made sure that S3 was specified in it. I am reasonably sure that S3 is the mode that it is going into, if I use the BIOS to allow the network card to wake it up, it wakes up promptly immediately after going to sleep. Would it do that if it was hibernating? Figuring out what in my network traffic is causing that to happen is a different problem, but less important to me for now. When in sleep, the power button on the case flashes, which is how I have it set to behave in the BIOS. I may play with hibernating it as well, just to make sure that it is different than the sleep i think I'm putting it into now.

It seems to me that the problem is that the USB hubs are being powered down in sleep despite my attempts to leave them powered up. I had run the powerconfig log during entrance into and out of sleep, and there were several warnings regarding the USB hubs and "selective suspend". It didn't matter how I had set the selective suspend setting in the power plan options.

I'll open a ticket with MSI soon if I don't have any luck figuring it out, but I'm still trying to sort out whether this is a Windows thing, or if it this motherboard / BIOS.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:54 pm

I just googled the user manual, and from what I can see, that mother board has jumpers that determine if USB +5v is disabled in sleep mode or left on all the time.

Check to see if they're set to the right position with +5v continuously on.

sensij

Post by sensij » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:16 pm

Oh man, I'm sure you are right. I had noticed those jumpers in the manual originally but didn't understand what 5VSB meant. Now that google has explained that to me, I see that the default setting is to kill power to USB during sleep. Thank you very much!