Audio but no Video [Solved]

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
okhomer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Audio but no Video [Solved]

Post by okhomer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Hey guys. Over the past week I upgraded my HTPC video card from a AMD Radeon HD 6750 to a Nvidia GT 640 hoping this would correct some of my HDMI hand shakes with my receiver. I have not been able to tell if it is helping or not. I have one channel that my wife and I watch the most and every so often the video would cut out but will still have audio. I have not noticed this on any other channels. I did not have this problem with the AMD card. I have tried over the weekend reinstalling windows and did not seem to help.

Here is what I am running...
Windows 7 64
Ceton and HDHomerun Prime
HDMI from video card to Denon Receiver
Last edited by okhomer on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:02 pm

The latest drivers are not always the best to use with Media Center. There are also some settings that need to be changed from default.

Try installing version 304.79 of the nVidia drivers. Make sure to select "custom" install, and check the box that says "clean install". Then, follow the instructions for settings in the thread linked below:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=9&t=2239

okhomer

Post by okhomer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:52 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:The latest drivers are not always the best to use with Media Center. There are also some settings that need to be changed from default.

Try installing version 304.79 of the nVidia drivers. Make sure to select "custom" install, and check the box that says "clean install". Then, follow the instructions for settings in the thread linked below:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=9&t=2239
Thanks Barnabas. I could not find the 304.79 drivers not in beta so I stuck with the current driver. But, I did follow the steps in the link that you attached and seems to have helped. I have not watched that much on the channel in question because of the all star game but I should be able check it out later this week.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:48 pm

304.79 is a beta. It works. Try it.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:46 pm

okhomer wrote:...every so often the video would cut out but will still have audio...
More details about the actual symptom, like-
How long does the video cut out for?
Does it come back by itself or do you have to do something to get it back?
If you can, while the video is out, press info on your Tv remote, what do you see?
If you can, while the video is out, press info or guide or change channels in WMC, what happens?
If you can, while the video is out, access the page on the Denon that tells you what type of audio/video signal it is getting at that moment, what does it say?
If you can, while the video is out, change the Input on the Denon then go back, what happens?

On the Denon-
Sometimes unplugging the AVR for 3 minutes and/or doing a Factory Reset can clear bugs.
Do you have the latest Firmware?
Do you have it set to pass the signal without changing signal format?

On the Tv-
Sometimes unplugging the Tv for 3 minutes and/or doing a Factory Reset can clear bugs.
Do you have the latest Firmware?

okhomer

Post by okhomer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:30 pm

This topic has resoled my problem. Thanks.