HDBaseT 2.0

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
jjhtpc

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDBaseT 2.0

Post by jjhtpc » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:19 pm

This technology has been what I would consider the "perfect" technology. Unfortunately up until now there have been two draw backs:
1. You could not control a PC via usb keyboard
2. The price tag for a system like this started pushing the $3,000 or $4,000 range just for the these components (this means that with htpc extenders etc you could be pushing $6,000 for a "connected home setup".

HDBaseT 2.0 helps to resolve the two issues above, and is pushing for manufactures to produce truly plug and play devices that work with this. The previous HDBaseT techonlogy was usually only available through high end A/V or home theater builders/distributors.

Here is the link to the details:
http://www.cepro.com/article/hdbaset_20 ... al_market/

This type of setup is great for those of us that have 5 or 6 or more tvs in the home that we all want the same interface on. Up until now that would mean that we would need at least one htpc and then an extender/pc on ever other tv. This type of tech would allow you to have an htpc and 2 or 3 extenders to propogate to the entire house. This would all depend on how many truly different connections you would need running at 1 time (some of us would be able to support all 6 tvs with just an htpc and 1 extender).

Either way I think my next home will have this technology, pretty slick stuff.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:21 pm

What kind of set up would cost $6,000?

Even if one to pay full retail on everything, HTPC with tuner would have been around $1000. And 6 extenders at $200/each would have been $1200. $2200 total for a full retail. And who pays full retail?

I have put together a whole house DVR system supporting 6 TV's for under $800, and that is including the $430 (!!!) Ceton InfiniTV4. They are less than half that price now.

jjhtpc

Post by jjhtpc » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:59 pm

My HTPC cost around $1600 with the wave 1 Ceton infinitv 4 that cost $430. Then I added an esata hardware raid structre with 4 X 2TB drives for another $450 and that was when 2tb drives hit 69.99 before production problems due to flooding. The reason for the original expense was a theater level htpc case with front LCD (thermaltake DH202) which I still use and think looks great and gives me weather forecast and news streams while I'm watching tv(I like it, some people don't).

The reason for the $6,000 price tag was having a similar cost as mine for the HTPC and then adding on the current HDBaseT technology. The current technology is only sold and installed by Home theater installers. If you look up the devices the severs cost anywhere from $2,000 to $3000 and most of the receiver units run somewhere in the range of $200 to $400. Thus the lofty price tag. My father in-law has a similar setup (unfortunately with Direct TV and only the SD version) and it is pretty nice.