Component to HDMI

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
rdy2go

HTPC Specs: Show details

Component to HDMI

Post by rdy2go » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm planning to run two HDMI cables from my TV to my equipment closet. One HDMI for 7MC, the other for any other device I need to connect.

Rather than run component, S-Video and whatever else I may need I'm hoping I can get a converter box for my HDMI.

Here is an example setup, it appears to be the opposite of what most need to do.
Wii <---Component Cable---> Converter Box <---HDMI Cable---> LCD TV

Anyone have experience with this and a box they'd recommend?

Perhaps this?
http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-video ... 775&sr=1-2

Danno100

Post by Danno100 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:57 pm

You want a component to HDMI converter, not composite to HDMI. Monoprice sells what you are looking for at about $37. It will not upscale the video, but simply convert it to HDMI format. Is that what you are looking for?
Home Theater/Automation Enthusiast

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:17 pm

Right, just to be clear- composite is the yellow round rca cable with one big hole. Component splits the video into Red, Green, and Blue- though the form-factor for the cables is the same as the yellow composite cable. Composite is very low quality, Component is HD quality. Both are analog sources, so it takes a special box to convert the analog signal to a digital HDMI signal.

To be honest, you may be better off running a component cable plus some RCA audio if you're already putting hdmi in your wall. Monoprice also has some nice wallplates too.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

toddos

Post by toddos » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:43 pm

What AV receiver are you using? Many mid-tier or higher models from the past ~2 years or newer will convert analog content (component, composite, s-video) to HDMI so that you don't need a separate output from your AVR to your TV. If your AVR does that or you're in the market for an upgrade, that might be better/easier than dealing with a separate converter.