How to have WMC re-record a TV Series episode or movie

fyiman

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to have WMC re-record a TV Series episode or movie

Post by fyiman » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:12 am

At various times, a TV Series episode (or movie) has not been properly recorded with WMC.

For example:
1) WMC has recorded a sbheduled show, but due to an error in the guide, the show that was expected at that date and time was not shown and WMC has recorded a different show that was actually shown at that time.
2) A news alert delays the start of some shows following it. So a show that is scheduled to record at that time is preempted by the news alert, and a show that is scheduled to record later in the day may record the wrong show.
3) Some times sports broadcasts can run long, or seemingly unscheduled, which can delay the start of later shows in the day.
4) A show can be recorded, but when trying to play it, WMC says the show is corrupted.

After these sorts of things happen, WMC doesn't know that the TV Series episode or movie (show) was not properly recorded, and WMC will not make any attempts to record future rebroadcasts of that show.

If I find out that the show was not properly recorded soon enough and rebroadcasts of the show are still in the guide, I can manually schedule the rebroadcasts of the show to be recorded, which is fine... I can accept that, and most of the time that's what I do.

But many times, after the show has played, and I discover the show was not properly recorded, the show is no longer available in the guide to be manually scheduled to be recorded.

Is it possible to let WMC know that a show was not properly recorded so it will automatically schedule to record future rebroadcasts of that show? Basically, I mean to have WMC "forget" that it has recorded the show.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Unfortunately, there is no way to edit the recording history. However, you can set up a generic keyword recording that triggers on keywords from the episode description. Recorded TV > add recording > Wish List or Keyword > Generic Keyword. For movies, just do the same thing but use Movie Title instead of Generic Keyword.

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:01 pm

I find myself heading to the network web site in situations like this.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Shackleford wrote:I find myself heading to the network web site in situations like this.
Yes, or Hulu.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Sometimes I even find myself searching for torrents. I most recently had to do this when I attempted to record Expendables 2 three different times...and all three times the recording was unwatchable due to the audio encoding being incorrect (the audio channels were all shifted one channel to the right for some reason....talk about extremely annoying!)

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:55 pm

richard1980 wrote:Sometimes I even find myself searching for torrents. I most recently had to do this when I attempted to record Expendables 2 three different times...and all three times the recording was unwatchable due to the audio encoding being incorrect (the audio channels were all shifted one channel to the right for some reason....talk about extremely annoying!)
I ran into that before, the sound was bugging the hell outta me.

fyiman

Post by fyiman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:44 pm

richard1980 wrote:... the audio channels were all shifted one channel to the right for some reason ...
What do you mean "audio channels were all shifted"? Do you mean for example you were recording a show on channel 49 but the recording included the video from channel 49 but the audio from channel 50 instead?

Or do you mean "channel" in a different way?

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:24 pm

Sounds like they are saying the audio decoding shifted speakers.
Left speaker to right,right to right rear and so on.
So all the audio decoding shifted one speaker to the right.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:14 am

Leroys got it correct. Front-left audio was playing out of the center channel speaker, center channel audio was playing out of the front-right speaker, front-right audio was playing out of the surround-right speaker, surround-right audio was playing out of the surround-left speaker, and surround-left audio was playing out of the front-left speaker. I have no idea why or how, but it was only that one movie. Everything else worked perfectly.