Display Driver Error on TV - Laptop OK

hanginghelmet

HTPC Specs: Show details

Display Driver Error on TV - Laptop OK

Post by hanginghelmet » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:15 am

Hello everyone, I have a problem that is driving me crazy. I am able to access all my channels when viewing them on my Windows 7 laptop using Media Center. When I hook up a HDMI cable to the laptop and connect it to my TV I get the following error.."display driver error the video playback device does not support playback of protected content". I have updated the video card drivers and this issue still persists. Does anyone have any ideas to solve this. I am using a HDHomerun Prime and this is the only way I have to watch live TV on my TV. Thanks in advance for everyone's help

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:20 am

I'm just taking a guess that not using the built in/laptop monitor is viewed as 'breaking the chain' by the Playready DRM?

I assume you would have to run the DCA with the laptop hooked up to the TV, but then that would lead to problems when using the built in monitor.

I dunno, just a guess. Someone else who knows more will probably chime in.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:30 am

Try opening the Control Panel, then open the "Sound" applet. Set Windows to use 2.0 channel stereo sound. Then, run through the "setup your speakers" wizard in Media Center. Choose the speaker setup that best matches your speaker setup.

Just curious... are you using a surround sound system?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:09 am

Barnabas, I believe you are thinking of a different error ("Display driver error: Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly.")

For the OP:

1. What GPU is in the laptop and what model TV is being used?
2. When attempting to output via the HDMI output on the laptop, are you only outputting to the HDMI output (versus outputting to both the HDMI output and the laptop's built-in panel)?

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:20 pm

My first question to him over in another forum was if he was cloning the display rather than extending it as that would break HDCP. But he didn't understand what I meant by cloning (mirroring/duplicating), so I went into more detail and didn't hear any more. I was also fairly long winded about the possibility of displayport being used by the laptop as that is usually the problem I see with this error in laptops and all-in-ones but said that he could probably ignore that as being the problem since the way the question was phrased it appears it is working normally when only using the internal display and occurs only when connecting the external display (unless of course his HDMI cable is actually a displayport to hdmi cable)