Network Tuners Installation

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
lowwhistler

HTPC Specs: Show details

Network Tuners Installation

Post by lowwhistler » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:55 pm

I thought I'd try this feature (infiniTV 4 pci) for the first time, but following the guide isn't working. I can see from other threads that the Media Center add-in is gone, so how are you supposed to access "Network Tuners" through the WMC interface?
Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:49 pm

I just went through this process with my InfiniTV 4 and posted this over at AVS Forums. Maybe it will help.

A few basics:

Ceton info
Driver Package Version: 13.6.3.1088
InfiniTV PCIe Driver Version: 1.0.2.4
InfiniTV Firmware Version: 13.5.6.132
InfiniTV Hardware Version: 6210

Others
Realtek 8198 GigE NIC (onboard ASRock P67 Extreme6)
installed latest driver from Realtek

My first attempt involved using the latest installer from Ceton so I could get the Network Tuners option. I also updated to the latest beta firmware, cuz who doesn't love the bleeding edge wink.gif I ran the Network Tuners setup from WMC, but when it finished and I was taken to "TV Signal Setup," WMC said no tuners were found. This seems to be a common problem. Research led me to http://www.missingremote.com/guide/ceto ... ltiple-pcs and several other posts. One problem seemed to be that the MAC Bridge Miniport had a 169.254.x.x. IP address. This was probably because I disabled the DHCP server on my router. I prefer to manage the IPs on my LAN.

I reset the Ceton network settings (using the Diag Tool; works fine from within WMC, too) to get back to a clean slate. I took the following steps to assign static IPs:

Went into Ceton web interface (192.168.200.1) and changed the network settings (System tab)
Unchecked DHCP Server
Entered Static IP Address (192.168.1.61)
Left Netmask at 255.255.255.0

Went into the Network and Sharing Center | Change Adapter Settings
Changed the Properties of the Ceton InfiniTV Network Device, assigning it a static IP (192.168.1.62), Netmask of 255.255.255.0, Gateway of my router (192.168.1.1) and the normal DNS servers I use
Selected both the Ceton InfiniTV Network Device and the Realtek NIC, right-clicked and bridge devices.
The resulting MAC Bridge Miniport was assigned a 169.254.x.x IP; I changed it to 192.168.1.60, Netmask of 255.255.255.0, Gateway of my router (192.168.1.1) and the normal DNS servers I use; remember, this is now your PC's NIC as the LAN sees it. So, e.g., if you want to VNC into it, use the new static IP (e.g., 192.168.1.60)

One very important thing I failed to do, and which probably would have saved me a lot of grief, was to double-check the "Ceton InfiniTV Network Device #2" configuration.

NB: at some point I got a new Ceton device (i.e., #2). Yours may still be called "Ceton InfiniTV Network Device"

When I first created the bridge using the Network Tuners setup, I checked the Ceton device, and Bridging Support was set to YES. I failed to re-check it, as the manually created bridge with static IPs was fully functional (PC had Internet access, and was accessible over VNC), and the TV Signal Setup in WMC finally worked. The new, #2, device did not have Bridging Support enabled. So it's definitely worth checking the Ceton device configuration before and after creating the bridge.

Before I set Bridging Support to YES, I could not tune any channels in WMC. The Ceton Diagnostics Tool reported that everything was fine, and I could manually tune to any existing channel. But not in WMC. As soon as I enabled Bridging Support and rebooted, I had Live TV cool.gif

I should note that I also followed the steps here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302348 to force both NICs into promiscuous mode. This must be done after the bridge is created, as the netsh bridge show adapter command won't otherwise return anything. I did this prior to setting Bridging Support to YES, but it probably doesn't matter when you do it. Also, you may not need to do it. I figured it couldn't hurt.

So in the end, it was fairly simple to set up, if I'd known the proper steps and potential workarounds. If you're having the problems of WMC's TV Signal Setup not finding any tuners, or if you can't tune to any channels in WMC after setting up a seemingly working bridge, maybe this will help.

If anything's not clear, I'll try to explain more clearly.

Cheers.

NizZ8

Post by NizZ8 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Are you on windows 7 or windows 8? Network tuners only works on Win7 currently!

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:05 am

NizZ8 wrote:Are you on windows 7 or windows 8? Network tuners only works on Win7 currently!
Win 7 64-bit. As you noted, isn't going to work on Windows 8. Yet another reason not to upgrade. Also, 3 HDDs full of recordings that would be rendered useless. OK, at least those with DRM.

Just set up my Toshiba Qosmio to use the available tuner. It runs Wireless-N, and the host PC is now cabled directly into my router (amped wireless), though I have an HP ProCurve switch, so probably didn't need to move the cable. Anyway, it's pretty sweet to watch HD TV on the laptop. Strolled into the bedroom to show the wife. She was impressed :clap:

I take it you're running Windows 8...?