HDMI handshake issues

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
lithium630

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDMI handshake issues

Post by lithium630 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:07 pm

I've never really had to deal with this before but just bought a new TV. Almost every time I turn the TV on, media center is the wrong resolution. I can usually fix it by turning the tv on and off a couple times. I'm using an old I3 and on board graphics. I've read a lot of threads in handshake issues but I haven't found a good solution. I don't have room in my case to add a graphics card. Any other suggestions?

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:08 pm

lithium630 wrote:Almost every time I turn the TV on, media center is the wrong resolution.
With my 2006 Toshiba LCD TV, I have to use a customised screen resolution in order to eliminate overscan. (Selecting "TV" instead of "Flat Panel" during Media Center setup does not eliminate this overscan.) The problem with a customised resolution (on an Nvidia graphics card) is that when the HTPC wakes up to perform an unattended recording (when the TV is switched off), the screen resolution resets to the next lower standard resolution, resulting in a black border all around when I next switch the TV on to watch a recording or live TV.

The solution for me was to define the customised resolution using the graphics-card software, and then perform MC setup, making sure that I pass through the screen-setup panels. One of the options offered for screen resolution should be the customised screen resolution. Selecting that causes MC to reset the screen resolution whenever MC starts, and that fixes the problem of the black border.

Of course, I have to exit MC before putting the HTPC to sleep, so that I can restart MC when the HTPC wakes up, but that is an acceptable compromise for me.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:13 pm

This could work, an assist for a green screen issue, but one that forces a HDMI handshake:

http://thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtop ... 850#p55850

There are other possibilities too but I think this would be good to try first.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:16 pm

I have read it's also good to setup Media Center TV resolution to 1080 whilst in the wrong resolution, if that makes sense. It seems to stick that way.

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:27 am

What you need is a HDMI detective. Like the one from Gefen. It's a device that goes between your MC and TV and let your device 'believe' it's Always on so it doesn't need to handshake for the proper resolution. Google for EDID on HDMI and you'll see what I mean.

.Nico

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:41 pm

^ That would be an $85 solution yes ;)

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:44 pm

STC wrote:^ That would be an $85 solution yes ;)
Yes. So don't go out for dinner tonight... ;)

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:49 pm

Free is always the best option. I'll give it a try. If not than at least there is a solution. I appreciate the replies.