Watch Live TV on Remote Computer

BostonBrewin

HTPC Specs: Show details

Watch Live TV on Remote Computer

Post by BostonBrewin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:26 am

I have 2 Windows 7 Professional boxes. One contains a 2 tuner Hauppage card in it. On that machine, I can watch and record live TV easily enough. How do I setup my second box to stream live TV from the box containing the 2 tuner card? If it's not possible with WMC, can anyone recommend something that can do this?

Thanks!

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:17 am

Some tuners allow you to say "this tuner goes to this box, that tuner goes to that box". Your Hauppauge tuner does not allow that functionality, from what I know.

With what you have, you will need (a) to dedicate both tuners to Windows Media Center on the computer in which the tuner card is installed, and then (b) use a Windows Media Center Extender (XBox or Ceton Echo) to watch anything from that computer, including live TV.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:29 am

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_extend.html

Would have to be via a browser though.

BostonBrewin

Post by BostonBrewin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
adam1991, you mention that there are tuners that would allow me to do this. Do you know which ones?
staknhalo, I've looked at that as an option but I'm trying to keep everything inside of WMC so that my less tech-savvy family members can still find their way around.

I guess I had assumed this wouldn't be such a big issue but apparently I was mistaken. Hard to believe MS or somebody with a plugin hasn't solved the problem yet. I might have to look at another MC solution which is a shame because everything else in WMC is pretty intuitive and is already working...

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:50 am

This isn't really a WMC issue - it has always supported network attached tuners, but it's up to the tuner maker to provide drivers to make the tuner available on the network. The fact that they don't do that suggests that there hasn't been much demand - basic tuners just aren't expensive enough to justify the overhead.

You might be able to use dvblink to serve your tuner to a remote machine (I really don't know if that can be done) but the easier solution is to use a network attached tuner such as the HDHomeRun.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:23 pm

BostonBrewin wrote:Thanks for the feedback.
adam1991, you mention that there are tuners that would allow me to do this. Do you know which ones?
staknhalo, I've looked at that as an option but I'm trying to keep everything inside of WMC so that my less tech-savvy family members can still find their way around.

I guess I had assumed this wouldn't be such a big issue but apparently I was mistaken. Hard to believe MS or somebody with a plugin hasn't solved the problem yet. I might have to look at another MC solution which is a shame because everything else in WMC is pretty intuitive and is already working...

Both SiliconDust and Ceton allow network sharing of tuners.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:25 pm

blueiedgod wrote:Both SiliconDust and Ceton allow network sharing of tuners.
SiliconDust offer both OTA (ATSC&ClearQAM, plus DVB-T options outside North America) and CableCard Tuners. Ceton only sell CableCard Tuners (though they can be used as ClearQAM tuners at times).
Last edited by foxwood on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:27 pm

Plus, because OP only mentioned Hauppage, but not the model or his cable signal - he could be on analogue. If that's the case he's SOL except for the 'Hauppage WinTV Extend' option.

BostonBrewin

Post by BostonBrewin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:08 pm

I'm using the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E2V7R8/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1 and I don't have cable. I'm connecting it to an antenna in my attic. It's sounding like I should either sell this thing and get an HDHomeRun or look to use a different MC application...

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Or pick up a WMC extender. But, yeah.