No OTA HD Channels with my new WMC PC

mcgahansj

HTPC Specs: Show details

No OTA HD Channels with my new WMC PC

Post by mcgahansj » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:36 pm

Hello all,

I have been visiting this site for many years (first built an HTPC in 2004), but finally ran into an issue that I can't figure out on my own, hoping someone can help.

My old WMC PC died last week, so I bought an off the shelf Lenovo SFF computer to replace it. I have expanded basic cable (money issues have caused me to not be able to upgrade to a CableCard tuner). My old HP computer with the Hauppauge 2250 card picked up all of my channels plus the HD versions of all the broadcast channels, all through my Charter coax connection. I just got my new computer yesterday and set it up. I removed the 2250 card from the HP and put it in the Lenovo. I can get all of the SD channels, but cannot get any of the HD channels.

When WMC searches for additional channels, it finds at least 2 (FOX and ABC) at about the 33% mark and then they disappear at the 47% mark. I have tried editing the channel list and some of them show up, but when I go to them they show "Service is Scrambled" on the screen. If I can't get the HD channels, it isn't a huge loss, although they look bad on my 1080p screen

I find it hard to believe that something has changed with my service in the week since I last used my old WMC PC. Any ideas would be helpful.

PS. Hope this is in the right forum, if not, let me know and I will move it.

Cyterio

Post by Cyterio » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:11 am

Do you have a TV with a QAM tuner built-in that you could test? At least you would know if the channels are still being passed through the coaxial. Might also want to try and manually set up your signal in Media Center. I've ran into issues in the past with Media Center identifying my signal as analog only. Also look at Hauppauge website for drivers. Hope that helps!

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:05 pm

I am not familiar with 2250, but SDHR-3 has to be set to ClearQAM or ATSC. Is it possible that 2250 is set up as ATSC, instead of ClearQAM.

Speaking of clearQAM, it may be already gone, or going soon, since FCC allowed cable providers to encrypt everything.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:26 pm

I've got two 2250s. Could be Charter reassigning the physical channel and WMC is tuning to the virtual, but wrong physical. Install and set up Hauppage WinTV from the link below (you'll need the WinTV disc that came with your tuner for verification) and run a scan with that - if it pics up the channels you can use it to view the actual physical numbers of the channels and then manually add those channels in WMC.

ftp://www.hauppauge.com/Support/wintv7/ ... D_2.8a.exe