Virtualized WMC (2012 Hyper-V)

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
karryt

HTPC Specs: Show details

Virtualized WMC (2012 Hyper-V)

Post by karryt » Mon May 20, 2013 8:29 pm

Wanted to break off some of the discussion that came out of this question in the infiniTV 6 thread (http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 870#p50870) about running WMC in a Hyper-V VM.

First some background on my setup, which is running a Windows 8 Pro VM under Server 2012 Hyper-V. I have my setup using 2 vCPU, 4096MB startup RAM, dynamic memory set to 512-8192MB, two virtual drives (one for OS, one just to hold recordings), two network adapters (one on a private virtual switch just to transfer recordings between VM and server host, the other for regular connectivity). Everything works pretty well for the most part although I think forgoing the dynamic memory might be best as I'm not sure if that helps influence the computer signature used for the PlayReady DRM keys. I've also run Windows 7 this way, but menu speed in the extenders was noticeably quicker under Windows 8.

On the question of whether you can export your VM to alternate hardware and still access protected content, so far I have not gotten that to work. I did find out an order of errors with regards to recorded TV playback though. When testing the ability to playback protected files, WMC under Hyper-V first gave me errors about no sound device (you need to install a virtual sound card as Hyper-V as no emulated sound devices), then gave me an error that the video card didn't support playback of protected content (it's probably possible using RemoteFX, but that scenario is impossible with Windows 8 as only the Enterprise version supports RemoteFX, and it's not possible to install WMC in the Enterprise version). Those errors came through the console session via Hyper-V manager. I then attached an Xbox extender and was able to playback the copy freely content, but got the copying prohibited error when trying to play copy once shows.

I used the PowerShell commands to export my VM including configuration files so that it could keep the same Hyper-V GUID, and did an import in place. I did however mess around with the VM config slightly before connecting my extender since this test VM is just going to be deleted afterwards (I didn't configure a gateway IP so that it couldn't mess with my Windows Activation by getting to the internet).

I'll try one more clean export and import without changing anything and see if it makes any difference.

ptr727

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by ptr727 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:50 am

Hi, I am trying to install a Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH in a Win 8 WMC running in a Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V.
Win8 installed ok.
MCE installed ok.
Ceton drivers installed ok.
MCE found 6 tuners ok.
Digital Cable Advisor fails.
Ran DCA override ok.
Ran DCA again, still fails.

Any help on getting DCA override working in Win 8 MCE Hyper-V?

P.