HDMI Copyright issue after TV ON/OFF

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Cryofax

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDMI Copyright issue after TV ON/OFF

Post by Cryofax » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:46 pm

I usually turn my echo on and off with the TV set. Lately I tried just using STOP so i could leave the echo on to save boot up time.

So when the TV came back on (echo was left on) I get an error about the HDMI port doesn't support copy protection properly or something. So, there's some kind of handshake that gets forgotten when the TV goes off I guess and only gets reset with an echo power cycle. Is there some way around this?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:24 pm

Cryofax wrote:I usually turn my echo on and off with the TV set. Lately I tried just using STOP so i could leave the echo on to save boot up time.

So when the TV came back on (echo was left on) I get an error about the HDMI port doesn't support copy protection properly or something. So, there's some kind of handshake that gets forgotten when the TV goes off I guess and only gets reset with an echo power cycle. Is there some way around this?
That is the HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) DRM and has to do with the EDID (Electronic Device IDentification) / HDMI handshake between the echo and the TV. When you power down the TV this will cause the echo to loose this information. Try power cycling the TV to see if the two can negotiate a deal to allow the echo to display on the TV. If this doesn't work,power cycle the echo.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Or pull the HDMI cable and plug it back in.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:01 pm

^^ That too is excellent advice..

warpster

Post by warpster » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:34 pm

Not gonna do much for speeding up boot time though.....

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:55 pm

My boot time is 45 seconds to WMC. What is yours?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:02 am

Regarding the boot time, mine was about 55 seconds. I'm not sure of the exact number, but if you search some of my older posts during the Echo beta, you'll find my measurements.

Back then, during the beta, I asked for a "standby" type of state, where the Echo remains booted, but not connected to Media Center.... to improve the startup time. That request never got any attention except for Ceton to say something like "good idea".

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:15 am

^ Good idea.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:45 am

ajhieb wrote:^ Good idea.
Yeah, thanks... that makes me feel sooo much better.

From the beginning, I told Ceton that their target should be 15 seconds from the time I push ON until I see the Media Center menu.

As it turns out, my HP extenders are faster than the Echo, play higher bitrate rips, and are more stable than the Echo. So far, Ceton has missed the mark on every measure I can think of except size and power consumption (neither of which was an issue for me because I think the HP X280N is small enough, and only consumes 8 watts).

tad

Post by tad » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:51 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Or pull the HDMI cable and plug it back in.
gefen's hdmi detective would solve this, too.

As would some of monoprice's HDMI splitters that remember EDID information.

nick

Post by nick » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:55 am

Cryofax

Post by Cryofax » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Sammy2 wrote:That is the HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) DRM and has to do with the EDID (Electronic Device IDentification) / HDMI handshake between the echo and the TV. When you power down the TV this will cause the echo to loose this information. Try power cycling the TV to see if the two can negotiate a deal to allow the echo to display on the TV. If this doesn't work,power cycle the echo.
Avoiding power cycling the echo is the whole point of my post.

My boot up time isn't terrible. Under a minute for sure, but it would be nice to just turn on the TV and push PLAY and be watching live TV in 10 seconds.
barnabas1969 wrote:Or pull the HDMI cable and plug it back in.
I'll try that as a quick fix but that's obviously not something you can expect your family to do on a regular basis.
tad wrote:gefen's hdmi detective would solve this, too. As would some of monoprice's HDMI splitters that remember EDID information.
I'll look into these. Thanks.

Too bad there isn't some way to get the echo to resend the EDID info that you could attach to the PLAY button or something. Maybe a firmware update?

soccerdad

Post by soccerdad » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:16 pm

I think it is the TV that sends it, not the echo. The echo looks to see if the output device is "legal" and lets the information pass if it is. At least this is how I think it works.