XBOX 360 wont sleep when in extender mode?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
thetoad

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBOX 360 wont sleep when in extender mode?

Post by thetoad » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:10 pm

So apparently my xbox 360 wont go to sleep when in extender mode (i.e. idling at a menu) and thereby also prevents my media center pc from going to sleep (due to it being logged in).

seems others have the same issue (from googling around). is there no solution?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Neither do any of the other extenders (Linksys, HP, Ceton). I never even considered the idea that the extender should sleep when idle. It would be a nice feature, but I don't think it was included in the design of any of the extenders.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Yeah but then if an extender goes to sleep and you then wake up the HTPC does the extender come back on? Also, aside from the 360 and Ceton, the other extenders don't have WOL as far as I know; so you wouldn't be able to properly resume from sleep as they wouldn't wake the HTPC.

I don't know what my point was, just posing more questions :P

thetoad

Post by thetoad » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:21 pm

If an extender doesn't have WOL. then it makes "sort of sense" to not go to sleep (or at least it expects the HTPC to be always on). However, if it does, it makes little sense to not go to sleep. what should happens is, it sees its time to go to sleep as its been idle for X period. it logs out of the htpc (kills its connection or whatever) and goes to sleep. when it wakes up, it goes through its login routine (i.e. waking it up if necc).

if the HTPC is woken up separately during that time, it should have no impact of the extender.

The 360 itself has an idle mode that turns it off (i.e. if I remember to return to dashboard), I see no justification for it not being part of the extender part as well, esp as the extender part can be viewed as an alternative dashboard.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:06 am

Wish all you want, but I don't think you'll ever get what you desire.

BTW, my HP and Linksys extenders don't have WOL built-in, but I wrote a script in my router that wakes my HTPC when my Linksys or HP extenders get turned on.

thetoad

Post by thetoad » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:18 am

I don't argue, I think it goes to the fact that MS didn't think features all the way through.