Ceton signal strength issue?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton signal strength issue?

Post by newfiend » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:29 pm

I am getting heavy macroblocking on HBO the tuner states signal level -27.8 dBmV and signal to noise level 27.4 dB
I am assuming I need to get Comcast out to fix my signal levels.. Am I correct?

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:50 pm

If you haven't changed anything else, I'd say it's the line. -27.8 dB is WAY too low.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:01 pm

richard1980 wrote:If you haven't changed anything else, I'd say it's the line. -27.8 dB is WAY too low.
Thats what I thought as well. I just read over here http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/index. ... -explained
about SNR.. I then got in a chat w/Comcast and they are coming out Thursday.
Thanks for the reply Richard.. I feel better knowing I did the right thing.
Edit: On a side note..
Our cable comes into the house to what I would guess is a huge Splitter. Every room is wired for Cable in the house. Would suggesting a Amp on the line help in this situation? Currently I am only using one Coaxial connection (Livingroom) and that is split between 2 Ceton Tuners and a cable modem (3 way splitter). Mikinho also suggested I use cable terminators on the lines that aren't used..
newfiend~

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:11 pm

Newfiend,

If you aren't using a coax connection, and you don't plan to use it in the near future, the first thing to do would be to install a smaller splitter (or fewer splitters) and disconnect those rooms.

Installing terminators on un-used lines is recommended if you do not disconnect them as recommended above. The terminators reduce reflected signals and signal/noise injection. Noise injection is when the open cable outlets receive radio frequency signals from signals in the air (from things like television/radio transmitters, wireless devices, microwave ovens, etc).

Finally, installing an amplifier can help, but only if the signal coming into the amplifier is clean to begin with. If there is noise on the line coming into the house, the amplifier will amplify the noise just as much as it amplifies the signal.

In any case, the tech should check the line coming from the utility pole (or box, if you have underground service) to make sure that the connections are clean, tight and not corroded, and that water intrusion is not a problem.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Thanks guys.. Appreciate the input!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:42 pm

Ok, finally after a missed apt. By Comcast, the wife complaining about having to empty a closet so the cable guy could remove a splitter twice etc.. I finally have good signal strength @-2dB /38. I am hoping picture quality takes a little jump for the better! We'll see tonight.

Changebox

Post by Changebox » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:27 am

I've been having this problem a lot recently and it's driven me nuts. Only one person knew to send the authorization codes. Today I found out that it wasn't necessary at all. Here's what I did....
I checked the diagnostics to see what the SNR and signal differences were between a working channel and a non-working channel (same package). They were almost exactly the same (~-15 Signal and 15 SNR). After seeing that "perfect" would be 0 / 30 I decided to check my connections. They were all fine so I reseated the Ceton cable. Instantly my readings changed to -14/36 and channels started coming in. We had a Comcast outage yesterday and my guess is that they forgot to "repush" the cable cards and just did the DVRs or whatever.

For Congress having passed a law that says we must be allowed to use these devices it certainly doesn't feel like Comcast cares about that law.

Best of luck to you all.